Texas Pool Remodel

bags23

Dec 14, 2012
Groves, Texas
We are about to start on a pretty big remodel on our pool. Redo coping either flagstone or Travertine. Redo waterline tile. Replaster. Possibly make shallow end more shallow. Right now it starts at 3.5 ft and goes to 5 ft in about a 15 ft span. Redo waterfall. We have been quoted $5000 for quartzscape, $6600 for wet edge luna quartz, and $8900 for wet edge Satin Matrix. Pretty big price difference between the 3 but is it worth the Price difference? Also should we do ceramic or glass tile?
I will try to post pics tomorrow.
Thanks

Is a SWG at all a thought to ever add? If so, I would suggest you avoid the flagstone.
I do not know the difference in the plaster finishes, so will defer to someone else.
Ceramic or glass tile is a personal preference ... so does not matter what we thing ;)

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

SWG is a possibility at some time. We have a light colored flagstone now that is not in great shape but I do not think that the previous owner took care of it. Would sealing the flagstone protect it from the salt if we went that route?

" Would sealing the flagstone protect it from the salt if we went that route? "

Yes, but you have to re-seal every couple of years.

A friend of mine has a salt pool with falgstone, and no ill effects so far, after about 5 years.

There are a few videos on YouTube about it.

$5000 for quartzscape, $6600 for wet edge luna quartz, and $8900 for wet edge Satin Matrix. Pretty big price difference between the 3 but is it worth the Price difference?

As with pool interior products, proper water chemistry and maintenance will go a long way in lengthening their service life. With the products you've mentioned, you'll get what you pay for. The more pebble in your matrix, the longer it will last and, depending upon how dark you go with the color, the less visible the mottling will be. Go for the Satin Matrix.

SWG is a possibility at some time. We have a light colored flagstone now that is not in great shape but I do not think that the previous owner took care of it. Would sealing the flagstone protect it from the salt if we went that route?

As long as you seal it, it's fine. Like anything, it's a maintenance item. Let's you opinion about look of flagstone vs. other coping materials to decide your path then maintain either one to the degree you need to, in order to keep it pristine. For us, it was a no brainier what we wanted, but that's a personal opinion.

We are about to start on a pretty big remodel on our pool. Redo coping either flagstone or Travertine. Redo waterline tile. Replaster. Possibly make shallow end more shallow. Right now it starts at 3.5 ft and goes to 5 ft in about a 15 ft span. Redo waterfall. We have been quoted $5000 for quartzscape, $6600 for wet edge luna quartz, and $8900 for wet edge Satin Matrix. Pretty big price difference between the 3 but is it worth the Price difference? Also should we do ceramic or glass tile?
I will try to post pics tomorrow.
Thanks

How many quotes did you get? Those prices sound a little high for the wet edge products. I would be sure to get at least 3 or 4 quotes on the work, not hard to do and doesn't take long. My price difference between a darker luna quartz (Madagascar) to a basic satin matrix (North Shore Tahoe Blue) was around 1100. Like 4600 to 5700. My pool is about 15000 gallons and has a perimeter of 90 feet, 3 feet to 8 feet.

How many quotes did you get? Those prices sound a little high for the wet edge products. I would be sure to get at least 3 or 4 quotes on the work, not hard to do and doesn't take long. My price difference between a darker luna quartz (Madagascar) to a basic satin matrix (North Shore Tahoe Blue) was around 1100. Like 4600 to 5700. My pool is about 15000 gallons and has a perimeter of 90 feet, 3 feet to 8 feet.

I got a couple other quotes from other builders out of Houston and they were higher. The pool is 26000 gallons so maybe that is the price difference. I wish I could get the satin matrix that much cheaper so that this decision would not be so hard. 2 of the builders said that 80% of the pools and remodels that they do are quartz due to cost.

I got a couple other quotes from other builders out of Houston and they were higher. The pool is 26000 gallons so maybe that is the price difference. I wish I could get the satin matrix that much cheaper so that this decision would not be so hard. 2 of the builders said that 80% of the pools and remodels that they do are quartz due to cost.

I like the satin matrix, but the quartz would probably be my pick the next time I do this. I like the smoother texture and I really don't believe that the pebble finishes will last that much longer than the quartz. But the pebble does look really good. Make sure you have them add "moon dust" for the quartz or the mother of pearl to the satin matrix to your pool for extra sparkle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I like the satin matrix, but the quartz would probably be my pick the next time I do this. I like the smoother texture and I really don't believe that the pebble finishes will last that much longer than the quartz. But the pebble does look really good. Make sure you have them add "moon dust" for the quartz or the mother of pearl to the satin matrix to your pool for extra sparkle.

What is moon dust?

Need some feedback on a pretty major decision. My wife wants to make the pool more shallow in the shallow end. My kids are small now and don't seem to care at all if it is shallow or not. Do you think they will want more shallow end when they are teenagers? Right now it goes from 3.5' to 5' over about a 15' span so not much room for playing where they can stand.

Kids grow. Pools don't.
My wife wanted to do something similar with our deep end which is pretty deep at around 8 1/2'. She wanted to make it about 6' instead. It got vetoed as nobody would be able to stand in it either way. The shallow end that the kids can walk in is a very small area. They don't care. It's s swimming pool not a walking pool.
It will be expensive and unchangable if you do plus future home buyers may not want it. It will cut down on chemical consumption and heating bills though.
Ask yourself, when you were s teenager what type of pool would you have wanted. The kids will be big a lot longer than they will be small.
Just my opinion though. I'm sure they'll love it either way.
Edit. It looks like your pool has a deep end too. At 26k gallons it must. Are you talking about making the deep end shallower like I said?
I don't think you can really make the middle of the pool shallower or you will potentially have a pretty significant drop off in the middle of your pool that could be quite dangerous. Hopefully I'm looking at it wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.