Need advice for new IG build in Houston, TX

skipper722

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 17, 2014
Missouri City
Hi All,

I tried researching myself, but I do not have the skills and experience most of you have. I'm having the following pool built and need some advice.

IG Sports pool only, NO spa
Depth: 3.5' x 5' x 3.5'
L x W: 28' x 12.5'
11200 gallons
1 HP single speed pump
420 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter
400 K BTU Natural gas heaters
All above equipment is Pentair
2 3' length sheer descents positioned 2.5' above pool water line with 2 HP single speed dedicated pump.
Filter/Heater pump is 20' – 25' from pool. Water feature pump is 30' – 35' from the sheer descents.
All piping is 2".

1. From my research each pump seems to be oversized. Am I correct? The builder suggested the sizes, but I believe a .75 HP main pump and .75 feature pump would be sufficient and save a little money. Would it be better to run the water features on the main pump, possibly use single variable speed pump?
2. Is the filter size too large?
3. Any additional advice on Price / Design / Equipment / Piping Size etc. would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Mike

Welcome to TFP!

1) More important than getting a smaller pump is getting a two speed or variable speed pump for the main circulation pump. A two speed or variable speed will save you at least 50% of your electrical bills due to that pump. The water feature pump is a more complex question. The sheer descents need a specific amount of water flow to look correct. Simply installing a smaller pump could be very disappointing.
2) No, the filter is fine. A larger filter is more efficient and lets you go longer between filter cleanings.
3) Other than the circulation pump being either two speed or variable speed, everything seems good.

I would go 4x5x4 on depth. 3.5 is pretty shallow. Get a tape measure and check it. Definitely get one VS pump. Cost to run is tons cheaper and you have infinite control over water flow. We run waterfall, solar panels and circulation on one VS 3hp pump. And never above 2000 rpm. 3400 is max.

And, no such thing as too big a filter.

I'll talk to my builder about this. Can you control the flow rate on the waterfall, solar panels and pool separately? We will have 2 3' sheer descents plus circulation and want to make sure both sheer descents have the same flow rate.

I would go 4x5x4 on depth. 3.5 is pretty shallow. Get a tape measure and check it. Definitely get one VS pump. Cost to run is tons cheaper and you have infinite control over water flow. We run waterfall, solar panels and circulation on one VS 3hp pump. And never above 2000 rpm. 3400 is max.

And, no such thing as too big a filter.

I'll talk to my builder about this. Can you control the flow rate on the waterfall, solar panels and pool separately? We will have 2 3' sheer descents plus circulation and want to make sure both sheer descents have the same flow rate.

Yes, each descent should have its own valve to control the flow rate. This is needed no matter how many pumps you have. Yes, each water pipe has a valve to control flow rate. Our 3hp pump on max rpm pumps so much water it is really pretty crazy. Even circulating, running solar panels and waterfall it is still too much water flow. So, now that we have more experience with it, we have 4 preset speeds set for skimmer only, filter only, filter plus solar and everything. Then we can raise or lower waterfall rate with the valve putting more or less to circulation. Or if you want a lot of waterfall you can just turn the pump up.

We run our pump at low rpm(1100) 24x7 because we have tons of trees dropping stuff all the time and want it to skim leaves and junk continuously. 1100 rpm draws about 150w, at 10c per kWh that is about 36c per day, $11 per month. It has been running non-stop for almost 3 years now.

This also allows the swcg to make chlorine all the time so we only run it at 20 or 40% which might help make it last longer. It also prevents having high chlorine levels when the pump is running a few hours per day and then the chlorine dropping off because you aren't making chlorine when the pump isn't running.

Please get a vs pump - 1 speed pumps is ancient history, best served for dedicated water features, etc. Also, consider downsizing the heater. Yes, a larger heater will heat pool faster, but not by that much in your case because your pool only has 11k gallons.

Regarding the depth, I agree with above comments. 3.5 feet is just too shallow. Go with 4 - 5 - 4.

Get the LED color lights now or you will wish you would've gotten them later.

Since you mentioned sports pool, have your builder pre-drill on the pool/deck slots for volleyball net.

If budget allows it, consider adding some sort of automation. Think turn lights, water features on from your phone.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Young children will not be able to be in a pool with 4' depth. Don't know if that's important but it was for us.....we are at 3.5' and many times wished we had done 3' for the little ones.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.