What should FC be like before turning on SWG?

dumbcluck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
long beach, CA
All my levels seem good to me except I feel like my FC might be a little high at 7.5 with a cya of about 50.
Anyone see a problem with this as I turn on my ic40swg for the first time?
Ph 7.6
FC 7.5
Cc 0
Ta 80
Ch 250
Cya 50
Salt approx. 3800ppm with aqua test strips.
Sound ok, or let FC come down first?

Just turn it on. You're well below shock level. If FC starts to climb, lower the percentage. When FC dips too low, crank the percentage back up. It may take a couple weeks of back-and-forth to get dialed in. The good news is, if you end up low, you probably won't develop algae because the water is cold. And note that as the water warms up and there's more sunshine, the FC demand will go up. It's not set-it-and-forget-it with a SWG, it just means you increase FC buy turning a dial, not by lugging a jug of bleach over and pouring it in.

Right on guys thanks. Just a little concerned since me and my equipment are new.
I'm working on bringing my cya up but not too fast so I don't end up too high.
Maybe I'm not using it right but pool math keeps telling me I'm at risk when I punch in my numbers and even when I punch in target numbers suggested.
???

Check the FC daily when you turn on the SWG so the FC will not get too high. How much chlorine in have you been adding a week for the last couple of weeks?

I can give you a good estimate on your SWG % setting and pump run time if I know how much ppm of chlorine you have been using. In the last couple of weeks I have had to dial my system way back.

Cool. That's what I figure. Just seems odd and almost contradictory.
I want to emphasize that your pool is fine and you should never need to calculate CSI. I don't know why you are getting that info from CSI but it is not correct and, importantly, virtually never needed as long as you stay in the guidelines we suggest. (and you are)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a note, now that your SWCG is on, I wouldn't bother using the test strips for salt. Maybe just a very occasional (quarterly) check or if you suspect something is wrong. The reading on the automation screen is good enough and is what the controller goes by anyway to determine if it's within range. They won't likely be the same anyway, no need to worry. I have to adjust my output % somewhat more frequently than others depending how much I use our autocover, though there is certainly adjustment that needs done regardless as temperature, sun angle, use, volume of dead animals, etc. change. Mind you, mine is only open for 6 months and swimmable for 4+ months.

I tend to use the % x run time to get an hours figure that is always comparable versus just the % when thinking about what my SWCG is "set to". Because sometimes I want to adjust the run time seasonally for other reasons which obviously affects chlorine generation.

As an aside, I was watching the Property Brothers at Home show last night on HGTV. Wow, what a pool/backyard they built in Phoenix (edit - Vegas) at a family vacation compound - mostly the mega commercial slide and movie screen setup, though it was also an infinity edge. The funny part was that the PB they had a brief discussion with was touting the benefits of a SWCG system. They were water quality, effects on skin, effects on respiration and the cost savings. I viewed them with my TFP goggles and thought, no difference in water quality if properly maintained (though yes versus pucks), skin - yes - likely, respiration??, cost savings not so much (total cost of ownership seems to somewhat of a wash).

thanks guys. good feedback.
I have my pump set to run at 2000rpm's for 6 hours a day currently at 11% on my swg and 65% on intelliph.
fc is above 5 (will check exact number later) was at 6 yesterday I think. swg was set at 20% but sometimes for some reason I found it at 60% not sure what made it change. still fine tuning automation.
ph seems to be around 7.8 possibly slightly higher.
in the process of raising cya now as I added some the other day will check later for rise.
up until turning on the swg I was adding in cal hypo for fc to help bring ch level up at around 1 or 2 times a week. with one lb packages diluted in water. I would do this when fc was around 2 or 3 and then again when it dropped back down to that a few days or so later. barely used any liquid chlorine so far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.