Looking to get a robot!

I have wanted a robot since my pool was finished in June but wanted to give the Polaris a shot first. Now the booster pump is leaking and the tail of the cleaner gets caught in the underwater rocks in my pool so my husband has jumped onboard the robot bandwagon. I have been shopping around and I am disappointed because Maytronics makes it so dang hard to purchase their products and I wanted a Dolphin m5. Also, a 60 ft. cord is not long enough as we did not install an outlet close enough to the pool. Husband is not liking the idea of a cord running across the deck either. Anyone have suggestions for a robot of similar quality to the Dolphins but with a longer cord or cordless? Or does Maytronics have a longer cord option? Thanks in advance!

Electrical code normally requires an outlet near (but not right next to) the pool.

In any case, you can use an appropriately heavy duty extension cord between the outlet and the cleaners power supply. The power supply needs to be fairly close (roughly 20 feet or closer) to the pool when the cleaner is running.

I only know of one battery powered pool cleaner, the Dolphin Liberty. I haven't seen any reviews yet.

I have wanted a robot since my pool was finished in June but wanted to give the Polaris a shot first. Now the booster pump is leaking and the tail of the cleaner gets caught in the underwater rocks in my pool so my husband has jumped onboard the robot bandwagon. I have been shopping around and I am disappointed because Maytronics makes it so dang hard to purchase their products and I wanted a Dolphin m5. Also, a 60 ft. cord is not long enough as we did not install an outlet close enough to the pool. Husband is not liking the idea of a cord running across the deck either. Anyone have suggestions for a robot of similar quality to the Dolphins but with a longer cord or cordless? Or does Maytronics have a longer cord option? Thanks in advance!

I believe maytronics makes a cordless robot if you want to spend an arm and a leg, liberty its called I believe. I would skip the M5 myself and get the Z5, almost the same and much cheaper.

Thank you. Not sure why I thought an extension cord would not be okay. I would prefer the corded version because I don't trust "rechargeable" anything. Usually not enough power and battery life doesn't last long enough. I will check out the Z5. Any ideas where to buy? Maytronics sure doesn't make it easy to buy their products.

I have a z5 and it works great. The cord you were.refering to is the cord from power supply to
Unit in water. It needs to have enough extra to go to deep end or other side of pool. The power cord you plug in is less than 10' long.
I usually grab mine out with a pool brush.

If you go Maytronics M5, simply call them and they will guide you to a supplier nearby. That's what I did, and I would drive a long way if I ever had to replace it and never blink an eye. I love mine that much. Almost the same, my friend has the Oasis Z5 and loves it. I'm with you on the battery. As much energy as these things use (for a battery) I wouldn't even consider it. Once you go with a good Robot, you'll never go back. Best thing we bought for our pool.

After my 2nd Maytronics seems to have died (Dynamic first and then Diagnostic) ... I am seriously thinking of going back to a simple suction cleaner.

Maybe they have improved the reliability in the last few years, but I am wary.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Which ones did you have Jason, and how long did they last? Obviously out of the three year warranty? Any idea from Maytronics as to why?

I'll update on mine as time goes by, hopefully I can't add to this scenario.

No idea why ... out of warranty and have read that parts are too expensive to even bother.

I had the Dynamic which I really liked with the dual motors. Had a power supply replaced under warranty, now it just seems to twitch once and nothing.
Got the Diagnositic from in-laws who hardly used it after mine stopped worked for a couple years and now seems to not to anything.
Both are about 5-6 years old now, but given the trend, seem to only last around 3 years in a pool open year round.

I can only guess water intrusion. Have not gotten around to opening them up and checking them out. No service center near me to check them out and certainly not going to ship them.

What I did not like about them was the bag/diaper. Worked great at filtering the water, but annoying to have to clean, plus you had to tip it upside down in the water before you pulled it out or all the junk would fall back into the pool. The newer top loading models look better and may be less hassle with a cart filter. But, they also cost 4 times as much as a suction cleaner (looking at a used PoolCleaner). I could buy a new suction cleaner every year (even though there is not much to fail) for less than the cost of a robot if it is only going to last 3 years.

True with the suction I would have to clean the filter more often, so that is a hassle as well. And maybe I would have to run the pump longer (although doubtful).

IDK ... I am torn and rambling. I just know that my pool is cold and getting dirtier because my cleaners are dead. :mrgreen:

I am only on year 1 of my Dolphin Supreme M4 so I can't speak to longevity but I sure love mine. The top-loading baskets are a cinch to clean, and the thing runs/cleans like a champ. It will even eat leaves. it handles steep slopes, odd shapes, and always hits the waterline. I would not feel especially short changed if I got five or six years out of it, when you average the cost over the years and the efficacy.

If I get three years out of mine, I'll feel like I got my money's worth. That thing works hard and gets a lot done.

I agree, the top loaders are so easy, its hard to imagine something better. More capacity would be good, but I'm not sure where they would put it.

Sorry it didn't work better for you Jason, I guess we will see how this plays out for all of us in a few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.