New to pool maintenance -- variety of questions

jon777

Oct 31, 2014
Jupiter, FL
Been searching here for a couple of weeks and gotten a couple of questions answered, but some things lead to additional questions.... Have had the home with pool for 3 years and local company maintains it. Am looking to learn enough to cut their expense, since they spend about 15 mins a week, and I now have The Pool Cleaner, which should replace some of what they do. I'll get into the chemistry soon, but focused on the proper equipment setting for now...

If I need anything added to my signature to provide more info, let me know.

1) Current pump run is 6 hours at 2550 RPMs. This time of year pool gets no use -- just spa, as water temp is in the 60s. Given everything I'm reading here, sounds like I can/ should reduce the pump RPMs to around 1000 as long as as am getting enough skimming done (not too much sitting on top or falling to bottom).

2) Will lowering the RPM speed that low create enough flow for the SWG? Reading that those have minimum flow requirements. Do I need to do something to check that?

3) Will lowering the RPM speed create an issue when I turn on the Spa? Particiularly in the time it takes to heat up? Can I program the easy touch 4 to? use a higher RPM when Spa in on if that is necessary?

4) I do have seperate valve controls for Vac Line, Skimmer and Main Drain. Since I will be using the Pool cleaner at least once a week, should I adjust down the flow to the Main Drain, in order to provide more suction to the skimmer, particularly at lower run speed?

5) Based on experience, Will need the 2550 or so RPM to run the Pool Cleaner at its proper RPMs. With the Easytouch4 is there a way a can either program a cycle where it runs at a higher speed, or an easier method than going in and raising/lowering the RPMs of the pump?

Am sure I will have more questions as I go forward, and appreciate the help of this forum...
15791087539_be1f452604_b.jpg

1) That would be the most efficient speed. Also may not need 6 hours.
2) You have to try and see if the SWG still has enough flow. If not, increase the speed until it does.
3) You heater has a minimum flow rate as well. I am not sure that the flow rate would have a large impact on how fast the spa will heat up. I would think that you need the pump speed to be higher in spa mode to have acceptable jet action.
4) This was addressed in your other thread. Turn the floor off and maybe the skimmer. Turn the vac open all the way and adjust the speed of the pump so the vac works. That is the cheapest method. Or leave the skimmer open some too, but you may have to increase the pump speed.
5) With all the separate valves, automating your vacuum is going to be difficult. Sure you can set the pump speed to be higher when the vac is running, but it is not as simple as adding a single actuator to turn on your cleaner line.

Thanks Jason. A couple of follow ups to make sure I am understanding
1) That would be the most efficient speed. Also may not need 6 hours.
From the other discussions and the run time lesson in Pool School, the time (with the RPMs) is trial and error basically, run it for as short a time as the pool is staying relatively clean and the chemistry is not being impacted.

2) You have to try and see if the SWG still has enough flow. If not, increase the speed until it does.
I'm guessing there will be one of the LEDs on the SWG that will flash if it is not getting enough flow. Will have to check the manual/display.

3) You heater has a minimum flow rate as well. I am not sure that the flow rate would have a large impact on how fast the spa will heat up. I would think that you need the pump speed to be higher in spa mode to have acceptable jet action.
So I like the jet action I get with the current pump speed (2550). Can the spa mode on the EasyTouch4 be programmed to do a different pump speed than the pool? I see the pump speed in the settings only -- not sure if/how I can program the Spa mode to use a different speed, but seems like this should be something it can do... I will play...

4) This was addressed in your other thread. Turn the floor off and maybe the skimmer. Turn the vac open all the way and adjust the speed of the pump so the vac works. That is the cheapest method. Or leave the skimmer open some too, but you may have to increase the pump speed.
So it's OK to not use the main drain at all if you are using the cleaner periodically?

5) With all the separate valves, automating your vacuum is going to be difficult. Sure you can set the pump speed to be higher when the vac is running, but it is not as simple as adding a single actuator to turn on your cleaner line.
Probably not worth the effort to do the actuator/automate, since if I am going to go out to assemble (hoses) / put in the Pool Cleaner, it is no big deal to adjust the vac line / skimmer...

I assume there is a "no flow" or similar light on the SWG. (There is on my Hayward SWG control box)
I assume you can set a different speed for spa mode. (You can with Hayward automation)
It is OK to not even have a main drain.

I assume there is a "no flow" or similar light on the SWG. (There is on my Hayward SWG control box)

Yes -- It seems that I need to be between 1750 and 2000 RPMs (at 1750 it is "no flow" at 2000 it is Green). Could that be affected by the cleanliness (or lack of) the DE filters?

Will see today how the the Pool Cleaner runs with 2000 RPMs, Main Drain off, 1/2 or 1/4 to skimmer, vac open.

I assume you can set a different speed for spa mode. (You can with Hayward automation)
Yes -- appears I can do in the speeds menu -- have a different speed assigned to the SPA feature. Process is a little confusing, as it would make more sense to me to have any of those settings controlled through the "schedule" feature.

It is OK to not even have a main drain.
Got it!

As the filter gets dirty, the flow rate will drop. So you should give the pump speed a little cushion to ensure that the SWG keeps running as the filter gets dirty. BTW, we recommend backwashing when the filter pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. And yearly you should take the filter apart: DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial.

The pool service is taking care of the backwashing (it's about every 3 weeks that the pressure rises enough for them to it). Am going to have them show me how to do it, and load the DE next time.

Have read the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial. That's on my project to do list for xmas break week... Have had the house for 3 years, and it has probably never been done as I don't think they have (they haven't charged me for it) and I know I havent... (you may have seen my other post that the pool service wanted me to replace them... one more reason that I am trying to go to school here... )

Just as encouragement, there are zero reasons to use a pool service for routine maintenance. You can do it all much cheaper and better (because you will test and adjust more frequently). Good luck...looks like you have the right attitude for learning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.