Infinity Pool

Sharkygirl

Gold Supporter
Oct 26, 2014
Sarasota, FL
Hopefully someone here can answer my question. We just built an infinity edge pool. It is sort of a half oval shape and is 31x15. My question is, can you swim in the pool with the pumps off? Here is why I am asking this question. When the pumps are off, the water will overflow into the trough when you are swimming. If the trough gets filled too high it will empty into the overflow and into the ground. Is this the way it is supposed to be? We have never overflowed the trough because when I see it getting full I turn in the pumps. This just doesn't seem to be the way it is supposed to be. I don't mind the main pool water temporarily being a few inches on the low side while swimming, however I don't like the idea of wasting so much water! If the pumps are running there is never an issue. What is "normal"

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how much water should be in the trough normally. My auto fill is set to turn on if the level goes below the coping.

Welcome to the forum Sharkygirl!

You need to run the pumps when you are swimming, otherwise, there is no where else for the water to go. Catch basins are only built to hold so much, so I would say this is normal.

It's also better for your pool to have the pumps on when there is action in the pool, as any dead spots/debris etc get moved around and filtered.

With the pumps left off, the overflow trough will eventually fill up. A well designed infinite edge system will not fill up the trough very quickly, i.e. if well designed it shouldn't overflow the very first time you swim, but it will eventually overflow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.