bbrock

Apr 15, 2014
Livermore, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For some time, I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Taylor 9265 - Magnetic stirrer; better known as the renowned Speedstir. The main time I seem to be wanting it is when I perform the CH test b/c my pool has a relatively high CH (latest CH 1000; just b/c some may wonder what my #s are: pH 7.5, FC 7.5, CC 0, TA 60, CYA 50, temp = 57; my water is balanced per Pool Math and CSI is inline). Thus, I am sitting swirling for some time. Not to mention, occasionally I have lost count of how many drops of reagent I have added, and also had a hard time distinguishing when the water sample color stops changing blue. Thus, sometimes I have added reagent and gotten to my supposed stop point, only to add more reagent and the color continues to change. My thinking is that with a Speedstir, I can more easily focus on the color change vs. managing swirling, counting, and detecting color change.

If you have a Speedstir, please weigh in here on how you like it and how it has helped you.

Edit: Sorry about that 0 at the end of samples in the poll. I don't know how to edit the poll and delete that typo.
Fixed. JasonLion

I am a self swirl vote. Since I found this site I don't do the CH test anymore since we have a vinyl pool otherwise I would consider it. That test does take a lot of mixing. I have gotten pretty good at swirling with one hand and dropping with the other for the chlorine test so bothering to get it out to do the test would be more work than testing without it. But if I had to do the CH test regularly I would consider it for that test and I've never tested that with it higher than 120.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Magnetic stirrers all the way, baby!

I have spent a substantial part of my professional life working in chemical laboratories. There's a reason we always use magnetic stir bars when doing titrations (actually, there are probably lots of reasons, now that I think about it), so it would never occur to me to do my own mixing. I'm only disappointed that the SpeedStir is run off a pair of AA batteries instead of plugging into my wall at 110V....or even better yet: plugging into my pool equipment service at 220V!! More power, baby!!!

:testkit:

I voted no just because I dont have one.

When I ordered my TF100, I was still new. I saw it on the tftestkit site, but passed with the consideration that it was just another pool gadget to suck more Federal Reserve notes from my already thread bare wallet.
Now that Ive been around a while, I have changed my mind. My next reorder of regents will include this contraption.

SpeedStir! I swirled manually for the first several months, but since I usually test at night I found that having the bright LED light really helped get accurate results (in the absence of sunlight). Plus it's faster and makes it look like I'm some kind of hyper-trained pool chemist.

I haven't seen the need for it. A quick swirl of the tube and you're done. Also, if you know about where you're at, you can add drops to get close to that in larger increments, swirl to mix, add more drops in smaller increments, etc. there nothing wrong with speed stir but it isn't needed for accuracy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.