First pool

Dec 15, 2014
CA
I just moved into my first home and it had a nice pool in it. I have never owned a pool before and it needs some help. It was okay but I was so busy with everything on the inside of the home that I neglected the pool and now it is a brown mess. I have a tree hanging over it and leaves fell in. The tree issue I will fix later. First, I need to identify what is what.

The water level seems too low to me and I am trying to figure out how to get it higher. If I understand it correctly I should have a floater but I can not find it.

Secondly, can you help me identify the valves and what they do?

Here are some pics of the equipment. I am going to start by getting all the leaves out before running the pump and fixing the water issue.

Any help on how to approach this would be very helpful!

photo 11.JPG

photo 2.JPG I believe these control my sweeper

photo 3.JPG I do not know what this valve does...

photo 4.JPG 2 different timers?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You have some things figured out. The first project needs to be.......

1. to clean out as much physical debris as you are able.

2. Get your water circulating (the pics will help us help you if you need it.

3. Clear your water. That'll require some very good test results and we prefer you get your own good kit so you can learn how to manage your water yourself.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

The first thing you can do without any knowledge at all is to remove any debris from the pool. Find both a leaf rake and skimmer net. Get everything you possibly can out of the pool that is solid material such as leaves, twigs... everything. The more you remove, the more the chlorine you add can attack what's in the water, rather than the solid stuff that has to come out anyway.

When your arms need a break from raking/skimming. Read as much of Pool School (Big link in the upper right of the page) as you can. Go through the Getting Started section and the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry first.

If you want to post pictures, the best way to do so is to upload them to a photo sharing website, like Photobucket and link them in your posts. Leebo has a guide on how to do that here too: Posting Photos Tutorial Once you post photos, we can help.

The next thing you need to do to clear the pool up is what we call the SLAM procedure. Our methods here are scientifically backed and reinforced by the results of thousands of users. You have to decide to follow our methods or the pool store way. They are not compatible. If you read some of Pool School and decide to go with our methods then the Defeating Algae and SLAM Proceure are the guides you'll need to follow.

Good luck!

Also: GET A GOOD TEST KIT!
:testkit:

photo 2(1).JPG With filter

photo 3(1).JPG Without filter... Is there supposed to be a floater here for the water level?

photo 4(1).JPG This is where my sweeper connects to.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow, you guys are fast!

Yes, I am planning to get a good test kit and I will start getting all the leaves out.

Those all look to be skimmers? The baskets you removed are just baskets to catch larger particles and debris such as leaves and bugs so they don't go to your filter/pump.

The one with the hose going into it looks like it is a detachable hose line going into that skimmer. You can remove that hose line to use the skimmer just as a skimmer, not a pool robot/sweeper location. If you don't have a dedicated return/fitting on the inside of the pool wall, the skimmers perform double duty running your SUCTION side cleaner or being a water skimmer. Typically there is an adapter plate that fits into the skimmer and that hose you see there is going into that adapter plate. Many times the adapter plates are held in place only by the suction action of the skimmer when the pump is on, but yours may be different than a normal Hayward skimmer and adapter plate. Check out the Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment and the vacuum plate picture for what I mean by adapter plate and hose.

Your water level is likely too low because of evaporation or intentional draining before you took over. Some pools have an autofill valve that keeps the pool at a constant level by adding water when needed. Autofill valves will usually have their own location and not be co-located in your skimmers. Many pools have no such mechanism and to fill the pool, just use an outdoor faucet and hose. Be wary of water costs and water restrictions. Some cities will waive sewer fees on water going into pools if you notify them. Some will not. Water level should be half way up skimmer opening during normal operation before starting the pumping system. It will vary up and down with the weather/evaporation but should always be high enough to allow the skimmer to properly skim debris from water surface.

Those all look to be skimmers? The baskets you removed are just baskets to catch larger particles and debris such as leaves and bugs so they don't go to your filter/pump.
Yes, your are right... they are both skimmers. Just shows how new I am to this, I thought my robot (Kreepy Krauly) was the skimmer... the visual encyclopedia cleared that up for me.

The one with the hose going into it looks like it is a detachable hose line going into that skimmer. You can remove that hose line to use the skimmer just as a skimmer, not a pool robot/sweeper location. If you don't have a dedicated return/fitting on the inside of the pool wall, the skimmers perform double duty running your SUCTION side cleaner or being a water skimmer. Typically there is an adapter plate that fits into the skimmer and that hose you see there is going into that adapter plate. Many times the adapter plates are held in place only by the suction action of the skimmer when the pump is on, but yours may be different than a normal Hayward skimmer and adapter plate. Check out the Visual Encyclopedia of Pool Equipment and the vacuum plate picture for what I mean by adapter plate and hose.
I will check and see if it is just an adapter plate connecting the hose to the skimmer.

Your water level is likely too low because of evaporation or intentional draining before you took over. Some pools have an autofill valve that keeps the pool at a constant level by adding water when needed. Autofill valves will usually have their own location and not be co-located in your skimmers. Many pools have no such mechanism and to fill the pool, just use an outdoor faucet and hose. Be wary of water costs and water restrictions. Some cities will waive sewer fees on water going into pools if you notify them. Some will not. Water level should be half way up skimmer opening during normal operation before starting the pumping system. It will vary up and down with the weather/evaporation but should always be high enough to allow the skimmer to properly skim debris from water surface.
There is a valve next to the house that when I turn it on water goes into the pool. I guess it is safe to assume that it does not have a autofill.
When I just moved in I did add water until about half way up the skimmers, the water level then dropped (not sure how fast) to just at the skimmer bottom edge and has stayed there for weeks.

I have cleaned out most of the leaves, there might be more at the deep end but I can not see the bottom. I will get a test kit and post what the results are and then start getting the water clear again!

If the water level dropped more than say... 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch in a day, that might indicate a leak. Was the pump on at the time? That it stopped at the bottom edge of the skimmer is a good thing though. If there is indeed a leak, it's likely at one of your skimmers. You can use red (or any color) food coloring in a syringe (no needle) to inject food coloring around the skimmer area. You'll have to raise the water level and then do this but if the water is clear enough, you can see the food coloring get sucked into the leaking area. There are some youtube videos showing how it's done. It could still be a leak in the water lines but that it stopped right at the bottom of the skimmer would likely mean it's there where the skimmer mouth meets the pool lining or inside the skimmer mouth. Do this leak testing with the pump off to eliminate water turbulence in the skimmer area.

Good job getting the leaves out. If you have a leaf rake (see Visual Encyclopedia again) you should blindly rake the bottom of the deep end as much as you can, then let things settle for several hours or overnight and do it again, depending on water clarity.

EDIT: Also, get what you do know about your pool specifics in your forum signature. It helps us help you. In every post we know all the details that may change the advice you get. You don't have to know it all now, just fill in what you can and update when you know more. You change your signature by clicking on the Settings link on top right of this page, then Edit Signature on the left of the next page. Check out other users signatures for what to add such as pool wall surface, approx. volume, filter type (looks like DE), etc.

Last edited:
< I will get a test kit and post what the results are and then start getting the water clear again! >

Dont get just any ol' test kit. There are only a couple that are worth the money. Here is a link to them. I recommend HIGHLY, to get the TF100.
It will have enough test regents to clear the mucky pool. You will to do a lot of testing to get it clean. The K2006 is good, but it doesnt have enough regents to do the job.

I recommend teh XL verson of the TF100.

good luck!
www.tftestkits.net

I would help in lots of ways (so we all dont have to keep asking), if you could put as much info about your pool on your signature.
Here are the instrutctions on how to do it, so that info automatically shows up.

At the top of the page, just under the POOL SCHOOL button, is 'settings' click that.
On the left side of the page, scroll down until you see "edit signature" click that and fill in the info then save it. It sure would help.

The top pic and next to the top.
The two valves control the flow from where the pump pulls water. One of the vlaves is probably a main drain (if you have one). You will need to get teh water cleared up to verify that I suppose.

The other valve could be a couple different things, another skimmer (if you have two?) or maybe a suction side cleaner dedicated line? Here again, will need to get the water clear to figure out what they exactly control.

Third pic from the top. Valve after the filter.
Looks like you have 2 lines going to the returns. That valve most likely shuts off water to half of however many returns you have.

One of the Timers I'm sure controls the circulation pump. The other timer could control the pool light, if you have one (i would be surprised if you didnt). Or it could control landscape lights or any other electrical appliance out by the pool.

We'll need to help figure that out when the water is cleared up.

I just moved into my first home and it had a nice pool in it. I have never owned a pool before and it needs some help. It was okay but I was so busy with everything on the inside of the home that I neglected the pool and now it is a brown mess. I have a tree hanging over it and leaves fell in. The tree issue I will fix later. First, I need to identify what is what.

The water level seems too low to me and I am trying to figure out how to get it higher. If I understand it correctly I should have a floater but I can not find it.

Secondly, can you help me identify the valves and what they do?

Here are some pics of the equipment. I am going to start by getting all the leaves out before running the pump and fixing the water issue.

Any help on how to approach this would be very helpful!

View attachment 33937

View attachment 33938 I believe these control my sweeper

View attachment 33939 I do not know what this valve does...

View attachment 33940 2 different timers?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.