Miami, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Here in Miami I mentioned to my brother that I have to refill my pool quite frequently. My pool receives direct sun from 11am or so till 3pm. He tells me that he doesn't fill it that often and the level remains constant; his pool receives direct sun all day.

I dont have measurements of the water level but will collect them once the pool is done filling up today. At present I'm simply going by comparison to what he tells me, and I don't have any cracks along any walls or the floor.

Aside from leaks from the buried pvc pipes that I cant see, can water be leaking from somewhere else? I will update this post with a measurement of water loss in a few days.

There are many many places the pool can leak.

In Miami during the summer there should be lots of humidity and hardly any evaporation. In the spring and fall it is sometimes less humid, and you will get some evaporation at that time. 1/4" of evaporation per day would be about the extreme upper limit of how much evaporation you could have on a windy day with near zero humidity.

One good double check is the bucket test. Put a bucket of water in the pool and match the water level in the pool to the water level in the bucket. Then see if they both go down at the same rate (evaporation) or the pool goes down more quickly (leak).

I'm just north of you in Lauderdale. Bought my house in July. Since then, I've added a little water just twice. Otherwise, rainfall kept up with evaporation just fine.

Yes, in summer months, the rains take care of the the water line. I will do the bucket test....Thank you

Ok, some numbers.
I filled it up on Sunday, and we've had glorious, gorgeous sunny days. This morning, the pool water is down almost an inch and a half. I put in a bucket yesterday morning, and today it is down about 1/8".
I'm leaning towards the fact that i have a leak somewhere. Great. How do I go about locating it? Or is it not worth digging up my entire backyard to find a leaky pvc joint or pipe?

Your results are confusing. I read your post to say you lost 1.5 inches from Sunday to Wednesday. (3/8 inch daily) and This last 24 hours (thereabouts) you lost 1/8".

1/8 inch daily would be within the realm of reasonable but 3/8 inch daily would be a little excessive and I would suspect a leak.

I would not chase water loss of 1/8" daily but I would 3/8 daily.

Your results are confusing. I read your post to say you lost 1.5 inches from Sunday to Wednesday. (3/8 inch daily) and This last 24 hours (thereabouts) you lost 1/8".

1/8 inch daily would be within the realm of reasonable but 3/8 inch daily would be a little excessive and I would suspect a leak.

I would not chase water loss of 1/8" daily but I would 3/8 daily.

duraleigh--thank you
The 1/8" loss was in the bucket test. The 3/8" daily loss is in the actual pool. How do I chase that? If I don't see water leaking near the pump or filter, then the leak must be in the pipes somewhere. How do i locate a leak in pipes that are hidden below pavers, grass, etc? I know..a pain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you saying that the bucket lost 1/8" and, in the same time period, your pool lost roughly 3/8"?

Yes, sort of.
The bucket test began yesterday morning, after reading the posts above, and the pool test began Sunday afternoon when I last filled it to a tile line.

You are missing the point of the bucket test. The bucket test compares the loss in the bucket to the loss in the pool over the EXACT same time period. If the pool loses more than the bucket (bucket should be placed VERY near the pool water, like on the steps), you can be pretty assured you have a leak.

Regardless, It sounds like you have a leak. Do not assume it is in the underground pipes........it usually isn't.

Don't start digging until you exhaust all other possibilities.

You are missing the point of the bucket test. The bucket test compares the loss in the bucket to the loss in the pool over the EXACT same time period. If the pool loses more than the bucket (bucket should be placed VERY near the pool water, like on the steps), you can be pretty assured you have a leak.

Regardless, It sounds like you have a leak. Do not assume it is in the underground pipes........it usually isn't.

Don't start digging until you exhaust all other possibilities.

dalegh..I understand the bucket test. I simply reported the numbers I have so far. I will measure the bucket loss after 3 days. If it isn't the pipes, where else coukd it be happening? The underwater light perhaps? I don't have any cracks in the walls.

Couple quick things. When pool is full and pump running are you seeing any bubbles in your pump pot? Does it prime up quickly? You say it's "below" the skimmer(s) right now, but is it PAST the very bottom the skimmer box? I would recommend shutting down system (pull trippers on timers - disable computer timer, etc) shock up the pool and pull your return jets (inlets) and pressure side auto cleaner (if you have one) and plugging off all theses ports with rubber plugs - typically #10's or #8's depending on your wall fittings. DO NOT FILL IT UP AGAIN JUST YET. Check your loss at 24/48hrs and see what YA got, bucket AND pool. If it, pool, doesn't drop, fill it back to normal level and give it 24/48 hr again to see if it drops. If it does then more than likely you've got a leak / separation on your skimmer box(s). If you fill it up, leave all inlets plugged and it does not leak you probably have a pressure side leak on pipe, fitting or wall fitting. Good luck.

Couple quick things. When pool is full and pump running are you seeing any bubbles in your pump pot? Does it prime up quickly? You say it's "below" the skimmer(s) right now, but is it PAST the very bottom the skimmer box? I would recommend shutting down system (pull trippers on timers - disable computer timer, etc) shock up the pool and pull your return jets (inlets) and pressure side auto cleaner (if you have one) and plugging off all theses ports with rubber plugs - typically #10's or #8's depending on your wall fittings. DO NOT FILL IT UP AGAIN JUST YET. Check your loss at 24/48hrs and see what YA got, bucket AND pool. If it, pool, doesn't drop, fill it back to normal level and give it 24/48 hr again to see if it drops. If it does then more than likely you've got a leak / separation on your skimmer box(s). If you fill it up, leave all inlets plugged and it does not leak you probably have a pressure side leak on pipe, fitting or wall fitting. Good luck.

thank you CPC.
Yes, I see bubbles come out of ONE of the 2 return jets and also in the pump pot. I don't know what quick priming is, but after turning on the pump, a lot of bubbles and a filling noise come out of the one return jet. At present, the water is below the entry of the skimmer door, but not below the box itself; I make sure there is always water in there (by hand).
I like your thought process. What plug would I use for the suction line? Or can I rely on the little door it has?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.