Jandy wont start Hayward Heater

Jan 10, 2012
Clute Texas
Hey guys, I tried to start up my spa and had no success. Set the temp on my handheld went to spa mode and nothing from the Hayward Heater. Depressed the mode button on the heater itself to put it in spa mode and it fired, I let it run for a few minutes, shut everything down and tried to restart using the remote and nothing. It is like the aqualink is not sending a start signal or something. The handheld shows the heater to be on as does the aqualink itself but the heater does nothing, doesn't even attempt to start. Has anyone experienced this before? Thanks for the help

Which Hayward heater do you have? Usually when you have a heater connected to a control system like yours you would have the Hayward heater in what's called bypass mode/operation. The fact that you hit the mode button and put it into spa mode tells me the heater may not be setup to be controlled by the Aqualink. When set up correctly, the display on the heater would read "bo" for bypass operation. You also could have a problem with the wire between the heater and the Aqualink unit.

Which Hayward heater do you have? Usually when you have a heater connected to a control system like yours you would have the Hayward heater in what's called bypass mode/operation. The fact that you hit the mode button and put it into spa mode tells me the heater may not be setup to be controlled by the Aqualink. When set up correctly, the display on the heater would read "bo" for bypass operation. You also could have a problem with the wire between the heater and the Aqualink unit.

Not sure which heater I have, I am at work so cant look right now. I am pretty sure it is 400,000 btu though if that helps. Yes, you are correct. It is normally in BO or Bypass Operation, this is the mode in which it will not start using the PDA/Aqualink system. I cycled to spa mode from bypass operation and that is when it fired, secured everything and returned the heater to BO and tried to start with the PDA and no dice.

Ok. If you took it out of BO mode then you must have an FD heater. I would first do a check on the wire between the heater and the Aqualink. Make sure it is good by doing a continuity check with an ohm meter. If the wire checks out good then the next thing would be checking the relay in the Aqualink to make sure it's working. Again, a volt/ohm meter is needed.

Few things to check. When you turn on the heater from your remote does a red light turn on at the controller at the "heater" button. And as asked earlier is "bo" enabled and a light beside pool or spa at the heater.

When I put a new Raypak heater in I had a problem with the aqualink turning it on. I had to make sure the heater was set to it's maximum temp at the heater. The aqualink will shut it off at whatever you set it at then. Not sure if this may be the issue you are seeing.

OK folks, some more information on this problem. I can get the heater to run by selecting either spa or pool heat on the PDA then selecting either spa or pool mode on the heater itself. The heater will not start with the PDA only. When spa or pool heat is selected with PDA, the heater light illuminates inside the control box and I hear the relay click but does not start the heater. All connections are good. Now, the funny thing is that once i get the heater running by performing the above actions with both the PDA and locally at the heater; the heater WILL turn off by using only the PDA. The mode light on the heater however will remain in either pool or spa mode whichever I selected to get the heater to fire. bo bypass operation remains shown throughout operation and I have pool/spa temperature readings on my PDA. What does this mean? Bad relay on the starter side? I really need some help with this, as we are having a get together for new years and I would like folks to be able to get in the spa. My repair guy I usually use will not get back with me so I am on my own, along with you guys help. Thanks and Happy New Year.

Eric

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The heater should be in bo mode and you should have either the pool or the spa button pressed/selected at all times. So the LED next to either one is lit. Also, the pool or spa mode on the heater needs to be cranked all the way to 104 so the controller can set the temperature you want.

So, if you leave the heater in spa mode, can you turn the heater on and off? Don't touch the heaters panel once you select pool or spa.

The heater should be in bo mode and you should have either the pool or the spa button pressed/selected at all times. So the LED next to either one is lit. Also, the pool or spa mode on the heater needs to be cranked all the way to 104 so the controller can set the temperature you want.

So, if you leave the heater in spa mode, can you turn the heater on and off? Don't touch the heaters panel once you select pool or spa.

Thanks, that kinda makes sense to me. I don't remember it being that way, but i think it might work. before this thing went on the fritz, i could toggle back and forth between pool heat or spa heat with the PDA only will keeping the heater control panel selected to spa mode still allow me to do this? what is the stby mode on the heater for? Thought i remembered seeing it in stby on the heater when not in use then the heater would show either pool or spa depending on what i selected with the PDA. Thanks for all the help.

Eric

That took care of it. Left the heater in spa mode and the PDA controls it like a champ. Not sure why I was thinking the heater was supposed to be selected to stby. Thanks so much for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.