New plaster pool start up - should I run pump on high?

ITR

Gold Supporter
Nov 8, 2014
Clermont, FL
Hi all...great forum!

We just finished construction on an in-ground plaster (stonescape) pool. The PB added sequestant and acid. I have been brushing the pool twice daily and the pump has been on low the entire time. I know today I need to continue to brush and they said to add a half gallon of acid today (diluted in a bucket first).

Should I be running to the pump on high during the day to get the MD sucking the plaster dust out? Unfortunately the PB is closed on the weekends so I can't call them.

Thanks in advance!

Assuming a two speed pump, low speed is fine for most things. I would run on high during and half an hour after adding acid. Other than that, and vacuuming and backwashing, low speed will be fine.

Plaster dust mostly needs to be vacuumed. The drain won't have any trouble drawing in dust that is still in suspension even on low speed, and can't really suction up dust that has settled even on high speed.

With a variable speed pump, I wouldn't use the very lowest speeds, but something well below full speed should be fine.

Brush, brush, brush and then brush some more. Stay on top of your PH too. Both actions here will pay off LONG TERM. I didn't see what kind of filter you had. If it's DE backwash it (even pop it and rinse it down real good if you can) and recharge it every week for first few weeks. Cartridge filter yank it and clean it good every week for a few weeks. Sand filter you can backwash every week, but chances are plenty of plaster dust is sneaking by the sand and back into pool so "quickly" vac'ing the pool on waste will be your best bet (assuming plaster is at least a week old a quick vac won't hurt, just don't put any auto cleaner in yet).
If you don't have any jets that hit/point at any surface directly I'd run pool on high to keep all your brushing work suspended and give it a better chance of ending up in filter instead of settling down.
Plaster dust and new start up is a very hot topic in the industry. Staying on top of PH and brushing EVERY inch of pool 2-3 times a day is still safest method. Adding other "products" to the water is also a hot topic. Some work some not so much.
Brush brush brush and stay on that PH, you'll be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.