Salt Water chlorinate voltage

Dec 12, 2014
Nsw
I am having difficulty with Saltmaster Nh 4000 S chlorinator / cell. Pool tends to keep going green although my ph,free chlorine, alkalinity and stabiliser levers are ok. I Cannot get the chlorine output level indicator past 50%. ( winter level ) it is now Summer here in Australia. Cleaned all electrical connections at cell. I measure 9 volts coming out of transformer but only 3 volts at cell the voltage drops at the heat sink , is this amount of drop correct. The black lead/ plug at the cell gets rather hot pretty quickly, bubble test with cell in a bucket of salt water looks ok. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

If a wire or connection is getting obviously hot there is some kind of bad connection, either in the wire or in the connector. SWGs are high current, so it doesn't take all that much to cause a bad connection Just a little corrosion or dirt will mess things up.

All of the voltages you mention are quite a bit lower than what I would expect, however I am not familiar with the designs common in Australia other than knowing that they are different from what is common here in the US. It is common to see a significant voltage drop between the transformer and the cell, but what you describe is more extreme than I would expect. This likely goes back to the bad connection/wire, which could easily cause some additional unwanted voltage drop.

Being limited to 50% also fits with some extra/unexpected voltage drop.

is the "Low Salt" LED on? if not then measure across the bridge rectifier you should have a 2 volt drop from the voltage going into the rectifier from the txr to what comes out to the cell, if not then i would suspect the rectifier has gone. If the LED is on and salt level is correct then i would be looking at a new cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.