Bad Filters?

G

I am having a very bad time with algae. I've shocked, ran my pump for 24 hours added polyquat60 and still have green on the bottom of my pool in the morning. This has been going on for two weeks. I'm at my wits end.
Could it be that my filter cartages need replaced? They are 3 years old. I've just tested and my numbers follow.
PH-7.5
FC-12
CC-0
TA-120
CYA-60
Water Temp is 81
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Mancuso

Shock level for a CYA of 60 ppm is 24 ppm, you are at 12 ppm. That could explain why you are not killing the algae. You must keep it at that level until all of the algae is gone to make sure you have killed it.

It is possible but if you have green algae on your pool bottom then you need to shock the pool to aobut 25 ppm and KEEP IT THERE until the algae is gone! (because your CYA is 60 ppm). Also you need to keep brushing it to keep it free floating so it dies faster.

To emphasize what Mark said, chlorine kills algae. If you have live algae in your pool, you need to add more chlorine more consistently until it is dead.

A perfectly working filter will noy help keep algae out of your pool until you kill it first.

Thanks to all. This forum is the best! I will raise my chlorine 24 ppm and see what happens.
I'll let you know how it works out. I only wish I could give some back. Maybe in time I'll learn enough that I may be able to help someone else.
Thanks again
BB

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.