One question about Filter pressure gauge.

I installed a Hayward De6020 filter with 1hp pump. I'm only like 25ft away from the pool now compared to 70ft that i was before. My pool has 2 suction pipe 1 from the skimmer and i new one i made from the main drain everything with 2 inch pipe. then from pump to filter and from filter to 4 returns in the pool. I also connect my other 2 returns that were disconnected before. so i have a total of 6 returns. <---- i think this may be my problem but I'm just asking in case im wrong. The pressure gauge on my filter is showing 0-2 psi. but the returns in the pool have enough pressure. So I'm confused if this is normal. The original filter gauge broke so i bought a new one at pinch a penny and they gave me a oil pressure gauge. It looks like it has water inside. Please help and sorry for asking so many questions.

Can you be more specific about your pump and motor?

With a large filter and 2 suction lines and now 6 returns with a smaller pump, you have a low head loss system so the pressure may be lower. Although 0-2psi seems a little too low to me. I only see that low if I am running the pump on low speed with a clean filter.

If the flow of the returns is good, then there is not real issue. The glycerin gauges are better, but you may not get good accuracy if it is a 0-60psi gauge. Sounds like a 0-30psi like sold at tftestkit.net might help to get a better read.

Adding an extra suction line should make it easier for the pump to get water to push and would allow more volume IF the single pipe was restricting supply. So adding an extra suction line would possibly allow the pump to push more water and that would raise pressure.

Adding back in the two extra returns would make it easier for the pump to push water to the pool but you already had four returns so the extra two shouldn't be that big a difference. That and you said if you closed them you only went back up to 5psi when before you were usually around 10. I think you have an inaccurate gauge. I would highly recommend getting a new gauge and a quality one at that. The price savings aren't that much.

If you get a glycerin filled gauge I do recommend making sure it's covered. My equipment is out in the open and after a few months I noticed my glycerin started to get a little dark. I cover it with a drink cup now. ;)

I went with the TFTestkits gauge after my cheap gauge made it a year and seized. http://tftestkits.net/Pressure-Gauge-Glycerin-filled-2-5-Bottom-Mount-p77.html

That's just way too high to be very accurate. You need something more 0-30

With a meter or gauge it's usually more accurate if the range you are reading is in the middle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
0-100 is just silly. Pool equipment is designed for 50psi, and the pumps can not even achieve that. I agree that a 0-30psi (that has 1/2 psi tick marks) is what most pools should be using.

Get a gauge that is correct for this application. There are only 7 tick marks below the 10psi line ... so I think that might be 5psi. If that is right, then you would want to backwash at 6psi (a 20-25% rise) and differentiating this on that scale does not work ... assuming it is even accurate that low.

Order one of these (click the gauge for a link):

A local pool store is likely not to have a glycerin filled gauge but maybe a cheap, air-filled gauge.

Not sure why you need it in a hurry but I would suggest getting a glycerin filled gauge with a 0-30 scale. (that's my link in jblizzle's post above)

I obviously have some agenda, but, I promise, selling that gauge is not going to allow me to rub shoulders with Bill Gates but it will make you far happier to pay the extra money and get glycerin filled.......they're just better.:)

It'll ship tomorrow if you order tomorrow and be to you by Monday/Tuesday.

I agree with Dave, there is not big urgency on this. Ordering a good one is likely the same cost as a junk one locally.

Need any test kit refills while you are ordering to save on shipping cost? ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.