Dive in theatre

Are you planning on mounting it on some type of cart so you can pull it out whenever you want, are you looking for something mounted permanent? For a good quality unit that you can move in and out of the house, I would look at some of the models made by BenQ. For around $500 -$ 700 when on sale, they have some pretty good features. I usually look on the slickdeals dot net forums when I'm shopping for good deals on electronics.

Thanks for the links.
I've been told that you want at least 2000 lumens for outside use.
1080 is awesome but hoping to spend a little less as we will likely not use it a whole lot.
Wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to just buy a low budget tv and hook it up outside?

The BenQ HT1075 is on sale right now for $699.00 after instant rebates and coupon codes at BH photo. Plus free shipping and no Tax for CA residents. That unit has about 2200 lumens and plays full 3D movies. My baby isn't old enough for movie nights yet, but when she is, I will own something similar.

Depending on your house setup, a quick and cheap way to have a surface to project onto is to just use a cheap king sized white bedsheet. Some friends of mine take the sheet, and use 3 clothes pins to attach it to the lower gutter of their house (which is only 8 feet off of the deck) and watch the movie from there.

Thanks for the links.

Wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to just buy a low budget tv and hook it up outside?

Several of my co-workers have done this (here in Texas), and none have had to change out their TV's yet (4 plus years). They figured it was cheaper to run through a couple of low budget TV's then spending the money on anything rated for outdoor. I know you were looking for a projection unit - but just wanted to give you that piece of information - Karen

dumbcluck said:
RangerBob" said:
Several of my co-workers have done this (here in Texas), and none have had to change out their TV's yet (4 plus years). They figured it was cheaper to run through a couple of low budget TV's then spending the money on anything rated for outdoor.

I'm a card-carrying member of this group. After doing the math on the cost of a dedicated outdoor TV and figuring how many "low-budget" TV's I would have to go through before equaling the cost of the weatherproof made-for-outdoor TV, I went with the low-budget TV. Technically, I upgraded the indoor family-room TV and demoted the older one to the outside. My former indoor TV is beginning its 3rd year outside. So far, all is well. Even though my TV is well-sheltered from rain and sunlight, I did spring for a breathable cover to keep condensation at bay and protect it from the wind. The downside of this approach is that you will have to mount and connect a new TV every so often. However, the upside is that you will be getting a technology refresh whenever you do this. If you have seen the new Ultra-HD TV's playing alongside the current HDTV's, you'll know what I mean. If you went with a weatherproof outdoor TV, it'll likely last longer, but then you will have older technology for a longer period of time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is our setup:

Camp Chef OS132 Super Outdoor/Indoor Movie Screen
ViewSonic PJD5134 SVGA DLP Projector, 3000 Lumens,3D Blu-Ray w/HDMI
Samsung HT-F4500 5.1 Channel 500-Watt 3D Blu Ray Home Theater System

This works great for us. Very large screen. Can put it up or take it down in about 20 minutes. Can project through rear of the screen if needed. Bluray player is in receiver which is great. The projector is not 1080p. But its perfect for outdoor use and is 3D. Paid about $200 for the screen (New) and $300 for both the receiver and projector together on Ebay (used) - Total price was about $500. including the 5.1 surround sound speakers...
We used it about 6 times this summer. No complaints:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mh2mpwpgws3bweu/Photo Jul 25, 9 20 10 PM.jpg?dl=0

We purchased a optoma hd25lv for a projector, rated at 3000 lumens with full 1080p, 3d, and 2 hdmi inputs. For a screen we use an elitescreen yard master 180", which is super nice, even comes with a hard carry case. It's awesome, we've done a few movie nights already and super bowl Sunday here we come.

We purchased a optoma hd25lv for a projector, rated at 3000 lumens with full 1080p, 3d, and 2 hdmi inputs. For a screen we use an elitescreen yard master 180", which is super nice, even comes with a hard carry case. It's awesome, we've done a few movie nights already and super bowl Sunday here we come.

Looks awesome... I'm assuming the projectors speakers aren't the best, so what do you do for sound?

I play the movies from my MacBook pro, so I stream the audio over an apple airport express to my av receiver. Zone 2 is hooked up to a pair of Definitive Technologies aw6500. They sound pretty good. It's what I use to play music from my iPad all the time as well. if I need bigger sound I put up a pair of QSC K12's (my DJing speakers) and that for sure it's more than enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.