Pool newb in SoCal

Dec 9, 2014
Corona CA
Just purchased a new to me house with a pool, will be moving in next week. The wife is all ready to act out the pool scene from Vacation with Chevy Chase. "This is crazy, this is crazy." This will be my first time owning and maintaining a pool and really hope I don't mess things up.

The previous owner is a member here, I don't recall his screen name. From what I remember of the details the pool was built in 2007, I think 17,000 gallons, has a saltwater system and a multi speed pump. My home inspector has a pool and he seemed really impressed with the set up. Being new I will just have to take his word for it.

I have a lot of reading to do.

-Rob

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 3.03.44 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 3.04.03 PM.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The previous owner did you a great service by pointing you here. Hopefully you can avoid all the wallet draining pitfalls typical of new pool owners who trust the pool "experts" at the pool store :goodjob:

Wow nice pool!! Looks like a real oasis .. all natural with the rocks going all around it. It will be a breeze for you to maintain. Click pool school at the top , then getting started , and read abcs of pool water chemistry , routine pump/filter maintenance and basic pool care schedule.

You'll also want to get yourself a good test kit like the TF-100. You can order that from tftestkits.net

Oh, and welcome to TFP!! :handwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! You are SO lucky that the former owner knew and used TFP to keep his pool clear and clean.

Now it is up to you! It is easy and cheap!

I do want to tell you to PLEASE do not go to the pool store for their "free" water test. It is not so free as most of the time they will try to sell you all kinds of stuff that you do not need.

The best thing you can do look at my siggy below to find the link to the test kits that will allow YOU to test your own water and keep that pretty pool looking great.

Here is some light reading to get you started:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Kim