Help there's a cinderblock on my pool cover!

Jun 5, 2014
Wading River, NY
I live in an area that gets very high winds on a good day, but since we are currently experiencing a noreaster, we had exceptionally high winds. I learned last winter that water bags are no use around my pool, as the wind manages to lift them up and toss them in the pool fairly regularly. If I didn't see it myself I wouldn't believe it.

With the storm coming and very little options at my disposal, I placed a handful of cinderblocks around the pool to supplement the water bags. To my chagrin, when I checked this morning two bags and one cinderblock were gone! I ran out to find that somehow the cover had caught the cinderblock, but it is too far to reach by hand or with any tools. I even thought I could be a ninja and try a home made grappling hook.

I'm currently running two pumps to drain the water on the cover, since it scooped up a ton of pool water when the block went in. The block weighs 30 lbs and it's unlikely I'll be able to scoop it up on the end of a tool (like a pole or a boat hook) so I figure I'm down to two options...1- locate a 30 foot ladder to span the 20 foot wide pool and hope it can hold me and the block, or 2- at least partially get in the pool to get it (it's in the deep end of course). I've had no luck finding a ladder that big, but I also really don't want hypothermia today since the pool was partially frozen over yesterday. Any suggestions would be helpful. If anything, at least this can be an amusing cautionary tale.

DON'T PUT CINDERBLOCKS AROUND YOUR POOL!

Oh, I'd also be happy to hear alternatives to waterbags and cinderblocks that arent those stupid water blocks, as two of those are also floating around my cover right now.

This is perhaps a little iffy, but it should be possible to snag it with a pool leaf rake pole and drag it close enough to the edge to pull it out by hand. The key would be to get the pole through one of the holes in the block and then catch something (perhaps the tightening collar, or a brush attachment) on the far edge of the block. A pool pole wouldn't be enough to lift the block, but it should take enough of the blocks weight to make dragging the block along safe enough.

Tie a rope to a large flat smooth thing like piece of closed cell foam. Then, put that next to the block and roll the block onto the foam. Then pull the foam and block off.

First pull the cover tight to help the process.

Tie a rope to a large flat smooth thing like piece of closed cell foam. Then, put that next to the block and roll the block onto the foam. Then pull the foam and block off.

First pull the cover tight to help the process.

Not a bad idea. The block can easily cut the cover if you drag it, and it could do more damage to the pool if it falls through. I think I would try to pass a rope through the block with the pole and then drag the pool pole through the hole in the block to see if you can lift it with one person on the pole and another on the rope across the pool.

Edit: After thinking about James' suggestion, I wonder about using a scoop shovel duct-taped to the end of your pole. The edges and back are smooth. You could push it to the edge of the block, use another pole to flip the block into the scoop, then pull the scoop back like a sled. People use these shovels as sleds in the winter.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I seriously could have used a wet suit just being outside today. After running two 850 GPH pumps for 4 hours the water level got just low enough that I could see the holes in the block under about 3 feet of water. I used a metal rake to hook one of the holes and in super slow motion pulled the block close enough to grab. I just came back in from yelling at the storm like Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump. The cover is fully intact, so in case you ever wondered if a tarp cover could hold a very concentrated 30ish pounds with sharp edges, yeah, it can.

I've seen threads on here about people making weights out of PVC but not a lot of followup. Has anyone implemented this successfully? Until I can afford to replace this cover with a safety cover I need a solution that's not jagged bricks or bags/blocks filled with water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.