The Pool Cleaner -- Not enough RPMs

jon777

Oct 31, 2014
Jupiter, FL
Just got The Pool Cleaner (2 wheel, suction side) based on the recommendations here. Hooked everything up and put it in (direct hose connect to dedicated vacuum port. Supposed to be between 11-14 RPM, and was nowhere close (about 6 as I started). I have a dedicated vacuum line which I fully opened (opened the diverter valve -- if that's the correct term with the equipment -- first time I've ever used the vacuum line), with the skimmer opened as well.

I checked the RPMs on the pump -- was at 2550. If I increased pump to 3200 and closed off the skimmer valve, the Pool Cleaner RPM did go up probably to about 9, but this seems extreme, and that maybe I have an issue somewhere. Haven't gotten rid of my pool service company yet -- they come on Friday, so I will have them look...

At new to all this, so any advice is appreciated. I've updated by Sig with the pool size / equipment.

I had a an argument a Pentair rep about this issue, albeit with a different pool cleaner. The manual says that it should run between 34-38 RPM and that if it's any slower than that, to call for service. Of course I have the dedicated booster pump. Well, I couldn't get more than 29 RPM out of it so when I tried to explain to my they said that as long as it's cleaning the pool, why do I care? I care because the manual seems to indicate the thing is broken if it's moving slower than that. :hammer:

Does the MD also have a valve? The most efficient way to run a suction side cleaner with a VS is to close off all skimmers and MDs and then set the VS speed to give you the correct RPM. Make sure there are no clogs in the cleaner line and the cleaner bypass valve is closed.

Hi Mark. As I am new at this, let me break down your post:

Does the MD also have a valve?
Sorry -- Am not sure what "MD" is. Have attached a picture below to hopefully show. (currently with skimmer all the way open, and vac line all the way closed, as pool cleaner is not in)

The most efficient way to run a suction side cleaner with a VS is to close off all skimmers and MDs and then set the VS speed to give you the correct RPM.
So when running the pool cleaner I should be reversing these? Basically turning off the skimmer and fully opening the vac line? And cranking up the RPM on the pump to over 3200+

I had done that and it got me close to the recommended RPMs (closer to 9 then 11 though). That also seems extreme to me. I wouldn't want at least some suction on the skimmer for those 5-6 hours that the Pool Cleaner is running?

Make sure there are no clogs in the cleaner line and the cleaner bypass valve is closed.
How to I do this?

Thanks in advance. Having trouble attaching picture as I can't seem to delete older attachments

Sorry, MD stands for Main Drain which are usually on the floor of the pool.

So when running the pool cleaner I should be reversing these? Basically turning off the skimmer and fully opening the vac line? And cranking up the RPM on the pump to over 3200+
Yes but it would be odd to require that high of an RPM with both the skimmers and main drain off. Is this the case?

To check the cleaner bypass, read the procedure in the manual. If that has opened, water is bypassed around the cleaner which could explain the issue.

As for posting pictures, follow this procedure:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...tures-to-a-post-(full-guide-with-screenshots)

Thanks for the link on pics. Here you go
15791087539_be1f452604_b.jpg

I hadn't shut off the MD (didn't say anything in the instructions about shutting off the MD). It did talk about if you have a 3 way adjusting that, but I thought that was between the skimmer and the vac line.

I can see running with MD off (since this should be sunctioning everything off the floor, but would assume ideally the skimmer would stay active.

From the picture should be easy to shut off the MD, maybe lower to 1/2 the skimmer, and fully open the vac? Would that make sense?

Will reread the manual -- maybe I missed something on the MD.

Note: Seems odd to be that the handle being perpendicular seems to be open. Would have thought straight was open, vs. perpendicular being closed...

Also, would adjusting anything on the returns be necessary/helpful?

Yes, you should be able to operate with MD off and 1/2 skimmer but the RPM will be higher than with the skimmer completely off. It is a trade off and depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Best efficiency or best skimming. Can't have both.

Adjusting down the main drain (to 1/2 way) as well as the skimmer (also to 1/2) and opening up the vacuum all the way, I think am around 10-12 (I haven't timed yet with a watch, but one revolution is about 5-6 seconds counting in my head). And that is with the Pump back down to 2550 RPM.

Given that the water will probably be in the 60s the next several months, am wondering if I can / should back down that Pump RPM further (to save electricity)... Basically use the spa only until March or April role around and the pool temp gets to 80+

You don't really need the MD especially with a cleaner so I would shut it down so that you can reduce rpm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adjusting down the main drain (to 1/2 way) as well as the skimmer (also to 1/2) and opening up the vacuum all the way, I think am around 10-12 (I haven't timed yet with a watch, but one revolution is about 5-6 seconds counting in my head). And that is with the Pump back down to 2550 RPM.

Given that the water will probably be in the 60s the next several months, am wondering if I can / should back down that Pump RPM further (to save electricity)... Basically use the spa only until March or April role around and the pool temp gets to 80+

Shut the main drain all the way. The cleaner will get stuck on it from time to time if you don't. My Pool Cleaner worked best with the skimmer all the way open, and the dedicated suction line half open. Any more than that, the cleaner climbs out of the pool. I have found that the best performance was to set it where it will just make it to the water line. My 2 year old calls it the shark because when it comes out of the water it is "loud and mean like a monster!"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.