Springtail Control

robf

May 18, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
I searched all the threads on TFP regarding springtails. Most posts centered on adding dish soap. I thought I'd share something that I found to help.

Last May we had our pool replastered and new equipment installed. The design of the pool circulatory system isn't ideal. The two returns are located on the same side about 8 feet from each other on the same side as the skimmer. Our pool is a play pool and the far side of the pool gets little circulation. Fast forward to this past October, we had new sod put in our back yard. The pool area takes up about 3/4 of the back yard. The remaining quarter is a patio, BBQ and grass area in an L shape. The base of the L is approximately 3 feet from the pool (on the poor circulation side). As most know, new sod needs lots of water. Lo and behold, this brought an onslaught of springtails. THOUSANDS! Looked like ash in the pool! They jumped on the tile and created a black ring!

They're too small to skim out with a net. I've tried using poisons on the lawn and surrounding flower beds. This has proven ineffective. My research says most insecticides aren't all that great for eradicating springtails. The preferred method is to create an environment they don't like, i.e., dry their environment out. This isn't always practical as in my case with new sod.

I stumbled upon an idea this morning as we just had a "storm" here in SoCal. I came out to test the pool and there were more springtails than ever before! A lightbulb went off in my head and I got the idea to "hose down" the surface of the pool and tile towards the skimmer! It took less time than skimming with a net and was relaxing. The water obviously stays right in the pool so nothing is wasted. All the little buggers were swirling around the skimmer so I put one drop of dish soap in to change the water tension and sent them on their way to our filter!

Hopefully this well help others as it helped me. When I first saw them I didn't know what they were and freaked out. I thought they were some kind of water bug! On a side note, I keep my FC at 7.0 and they were still jumping around frolicking and having a good 'ol time.

I'm not a big fan of adding anything other than the TFP recommended chemicals. I wanted to experiment with the dish soap to see what the hoopla was about. One drop and me mixing it around didn't even make it sud, but it did make them sink faster. In the future, I'll probably just wait for the chlorine to kill them and let them sink on their own. The main thing I was thrilled with was the hosing aspect as it remedied the unsightly bugs fairly effeciently. The hosing action also caused many to sink as well. Once they're in the skimmer I'm pleased as punch as I know they'll eventually meet their maker. I'm still in shock over the vast numbers if them. They are literally smaller than a grain of sand!

Here is a thread about it:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/41177-Borax-amp-Bugs

Also seems like I remember the soap gums up the sand filter.

That must be the scariest thread I've ever read on this forum. Only one person said "Do not add dish soap to your pool.".. then the conversation continued about adding soap. :hammer: SMH /facepalm

Soap is definitely a good flying bug killer (soap puts them on the ground instantly), but I would never do that in my pool. I get a lot of wasps around here, so I usually fill up a pump sprayer with soap & water as a wasp killer (and wasp nest destroyer). It works like a charm for wasps and bees, but I would never dare spray it in or near the pool. If I see a wasp or a bee trying to take a drink of my crystal clear water, I just drown them with a net and drag them to the skimmer.

I had a lot of annoying flying ants a few weeks ago. Just had to do a lot more netting and basket cleaning, that's all. Though their little heads kept getting caught in the tiny squares of the net. So one of my nets looks like a genocidal ant guillotine.

The issue with the springtails is their sheer numbers and near microscopic size. I've searched for a skim net fine enough but cannot locate one. That said, this morning before vacuuming the pool, I hosed them into the skimmer again. This time I stuck my hand in and swirled it creating a whirlpool. Sucked 'em all in with no dish soap needed! Don't think I'll mess with adding anything other than my 8.25% Clorox and muriatic acid!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.