questions about pool covers & winterizing

JayGee

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry if this is the wrong forum. We have long put off getting a pool cover and have decided we can't any longer. I no it's early but we have to factor the cost into the budget and need to plan, if not purchase, now.
I need suggestions for source and price range (I realize $$ is a variable place to place) of pool cover. I need the most 'economical' cover I can get. Allowing that "economical" is seldom 'cheapest,' I need the cover that will do the best job for least cost. I guess the cheapest 'good' cover is what I need. Also sources. Where is the best place to buy- Pool stores? Lowes/HD?? Mail order/on-line???
My pool is 16' x 32' rectangular, btw.

I notice the "Pool School" has an article for winterizing above ground pools. Is there a similar topic for in-ground vinyls???

Lots to learn.
Thanks. :)

Hmmm. Those climate related folks basically just keep their pools 'open' at reduced operating levels. But that won't do for me. We have a large oak tree not far behind the pool that sheds nicely in spring or any good wind that if blows from the north, typical in winter, it blows straight towards the pool. I would say we need a cover.
I've looked at the ebay links and will call local sources to compare prices and go from there.

Now, about under cover winterizing chemical treatment. Do I do anything special there or do the instructions for the above ground pool in the 'pool school' apply?

Thanks to all. :-D

Just what it mentions in Pool School, shock and polyquat.

You want to wait till the water is fairly cold before closing, under 60 for sure, ideally under 50. The colder temperatures help prevent algae, which makes the chemical treatment less crucial.

JasonLion said:
Just what it mentions in Pool School, shock and polyquat.

You want to wait till the water is fairly cold before closing, under 60 for sure, ideally under 50. The colder temperatures help prevent algae, which makes the chemical treatment less crucial.

That's in a perfect world. Speaking for myself, I can't wait until my water temp. gets that low. I close my pool usually in the first week after Labor Day; then I pay the price on opening day in later May. In May, my pool water matches my grass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.