Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: questions about pool covers & winterizing

1. Back To Top    #1

questions about pool covers & winterizing

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. We have long put off getting a pool cover and have decided we can't any longer. I no it's early but we have to factor the cost into the budget and need to plan, if not purchase, now.
    I need suggestions for source and price range (I realize $$ is a variable place to place) of pool cover. I need the most 'economical' cover I can get. Allowing that "economical" is seldom 'cheapest,' I need the cover that will do the best job for least cost. I guess the cheapest 'good' cover is what I need. Also sources. Where is the best place to buy- Pool stores? Lowes/HD?? Mail order/on-line???
    My pool is 16' x 32' rectangular, btw.

I notice the "Pool School" has an article for winterizing above ground pools. Is there a similar topic for in-ground vinyls???

Lots to learn.
    Thanks.
    ETexas 24,000 Vinyl lined IG cartridge filter:(

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: questions about pool covers & winterizing

JayGee,

I'm bumping this topic because I need to know too!

Oh man, I hate the thought of writing the check for it!
    26,000 gal liner IG pool
    Doughboy with concrete construction
    Full sun most of the day
    1.5 hp pump system
    200lb sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd suggest having a look at Link Removed by Moderator
    You should find what you are looking for, I think. Great prices too!

James

4. Back To Top    #4

Winter in my part of Texas is pretty mild. But still, is it a solar cover I want?
    Can these stand as double duty? And would the cost plus $40 shipping level out?

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's a thread on winterizing in-grounds....and has links to related threads.

I don't know if you truly need to winterize if you don't freeze....not sure about your particular situation. Here's another thread about a guy in California....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JayGee
    Winter in my part of Texas is pretty mild. But still, is it a solar cover I want?
    Can these stand as double duty? And would the cost plus $40 shipping level out?
    No, Jaygee, not a solar cover; see Link Removed by Moderator
    Best regards

Jim

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmmm. Those climate related folks basically just keep their pools 'open' at reduced operating levels. But that won't do for me. We have a large oak tree not far behind the pool that sheds nicely in spring or any good wind that if blows from the north, typical in winter, it blows straight towards the pool. I would say we need a cover.
    I've looked at the ebay links and will call local sources to compare prices and go from there.

Now, about under cover winterizing chemical treatment. Do I do anything special there or do the instructions for the above ground pool in the 'pool school' apply?

Thanks to all.

8. Back To Top    #8

Just what it mentions in Pool School, shock and polyquat.

You want to wait till the water is fairly cold before closing, under 60 for sure, ideally under 50. The colder temperatures help prevent algae, which makes the chemical treatment less crucial.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Just what it mentions in Pool School, shock and polyquat.

You want to wait till the water is fairly cold before closing, under 60 for sure, ideally under 50. The colder temperatures help prevent algae, which makes the chemical treatment less crucial.

That's in a perfect world. Speaking for myself, I can't wait until my water temp. gets that low. I close my pool usually in the first week after Labor Day; then I pay the price on opening day in later May. In May, my pool water matches my grass.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump