RayPak Wiring Help

HouTex

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2011
Houston, Texas
My new Raypak is due to arrive on Monday. It's replacing my 4 year old Pentair Mastertemp.

The Mastertemp is connected to my Easytouch 4 and it looks like the wiring for the Raypak is similar. It will be a 240v connection.

Anything unusual I should be aware of? I've wired things into the Easytouch before and unless there is something unusual I should be able to handle it.

By the way, there are two sets of wires going into the Mastertemp from the Easytouch. One is the two wire communication cable and the other is in a conduit that contains a black (hot) and red (hot) wire and two green wires. I wasn't expecting two green (ground) wires but they are there. The Raypak manual suggests that there should only be one green (ground) wire. Any ideas?

There's nothing unusual about the Raypak that would stump you with the wiring. Do you have a grounding wire connected to the outside ground lug on the Mastertemp? Is maybe that second green wire connected to it?

There should be separate grounding and bonding connections. Ground should be green and in the same conduit as the hot wires. The bonding wire should be bare copper and provided separately. I can imagine the bonding wire being green and in the conduit, even though that would be incorrect.

Thanks for the replies. There is a separate bare copper bonding wire that is connected to the outside of the Mastertemp and it runs to all other powered devices on my equipment pad (the Easytouch, the SWG and the pumps). But there also are two green wires inside the plastic conduit going into the heater.

One green wire goes with the black and red wires into the connections inside a metal box in the heater. The other green wire is attached to a screw near the metal box and it is visible when removing the outer plastic side of the heater. I'm guessing that for some reason there are two grounding wires. Not sure why.

It might be to ground two different parts of the heater?

Or, possibly, one goes to the grounding bus bar in the panel and one goes to another ground?

Is one wire solid green and the other green with a yellow stripe?

It might be to ground two different parts of the heater?

Or, possibly, one goes to the grounding bus bar in the panel and one goes to another ground?

Is one wire solid green and the other green with a yellow stripe?

They both are solid green wires. When I connect the new heater I'll look to see where the green wires are connected to the Easytouch panel. Haven't done that yet.

Update: The wiring was a piece of cake. If I hadn't had to move the transformer to the left side of the unit it would have taken me about 15 minutes to wire the unit. The plumber disconnected the electrical connections before I had a chance to solve the second green wire mystery, but with the conduit disconnected it was clear that there were only the two hot wires and one green ground wire sticking out of the old conduit. Not sure about that second green wire that appeared to be coming from the Easytouch into the old Pentair. It must have been some internal wiring in the Pentair heater that I incorrectly thought was coming in from the Easytouch. In any event, it's working fine.

I hope this one lasts longer than my old Pentair Mastertemp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.