Help installing a new filter Hayward De6020

Hello guys i recently bought a new house which had an old pool. Pool is 44x20 approximately 24000 gallons and has 1hp pump with a sand filter. I recently buy a new filter i bought the Hayward DE6020 my main concern is did i oversize the filter? i only have 1 intake line which looks like it is 2" and then reduce to 1 1/2" when goes into the pump. Then i have 2 returns pipe also 2" then somewhere it splits to 4 returns around the pool. What do i need to do to make y filter work with my pool please help me.

Someone told me to install my new filter i need 4 inlet pipe of 1.5 inches or 2 of 2 inches?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That filter is a decent size for your pool and climate. Honestly the larger 72 sqft would have been a little better fit for your larger pool. The only time you have to worry about over-sizing is if your pump is not strong enough to backwash the DE out (and all the DE is NEVER washed out anyways which is why we recommend a full breakdown yearly: DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial).

I run the 60 sqft filter with a 1HP Superflo 2-speed. It actually filters better at low flow rates (like I have on low speed).

Sounds like who ever you were talking to does not know much about how pools/filters actually work.

Thank you for your fast answer. So let me ask you something if i separate my main drain from my skimmer and run 2 different lines will that help better? So is it fine if i just replace my sand filter with my new DE filter and that be all? and just keep my current pump and change later when i get the money?

I only have a single 1.5" suction line from my skimmer (the floor is plumbed into the 2nd hole in the skimmer). And a single 1.5" return line that splits to 4 eyeballs. Works fine.

If you separate the floor and the skimmer to have 2 suctions lines, that will be "better" in the sense that you will have lower suction headloss and thus have higher flow rates ... BUT ... when you have higher flow rates, the pump uses more electricity, so that is not necessarily "better" ;)

I would recommend when you go to replace the pump, to look at a 2-speed. And a 1HP should be fine since you do not state you have any high flow rate needs (water features, spa, etc). You could in fact just put a 2-speed motor on your existing pump as the cheapest upgrade.

One last question. I have a hole in front of the skimmer like in the left side of it that has no suction or water coming out. Any idea of what it may be? Also in the ladders i have 2 big holes that looks like returns and they have metal around them but also has no suction or water coming out. I did notice on the pump there was a pipe maybe around 3/4 inches that was cut and sealed.

I am not clear on what you are asking. Where are the holes you are talking about located in relation to the skimmer and the ladder?

Add more pictures with a bigger view.

To post more/larger pictures, you may need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you know where the floor and the skimmer tie together?

I just finish doing the calculation of y pool. Pool is 32ft long and 18ft wide with 4ft average depth. That means my pool is 17,280 gallons approximately. I try to do the calculation for feet of head and I'm so confuse doing that. My pool has only one inlet and is 70ft away from the skimmer which is where is coming from. so that means my feet of head is 70ft? also on the skimmer the hole looks like is 1.5 inches but when it reach the pump is 2inch. Please help me find the right pump size and feet of head. do not think 1/2hp will be good if im 70ft away from the pool.

There is no reason to try to calculate feet of head. It is not straightforward and not needed. I can not easily do it either.

What is wrong with your existing 1HP pump? Who is talking about 1/2HP pumps? I still recommend a 1HP 2-speed pump.

FYI, My 1HP pump runs a 500 sqft solar system on my roof. Which has around 50' of 1.5" from the pump to the house and then through the panels and then back through 50' of 1.5" pipe before it Tees back in and goes to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There will be a little less head loss in the 2" valve, but if you already have the 1.5" I am not sure I would spend the money to upgrade. Just use fittings as required to hook up your pipe to the valve.

You can put the equipment where ever it is convenient. Most people do not want it by the pool due to the noise and lack of power available. I have no concerns about 70' of basically straight pipe which has little head loss.

I am not sure why you think the previous set up was a "bad job".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.