AquaRite Cell or PCB problem?

schwim

Sep 3, 2007
Well, the summer was going perfectly for my pool, thanks to this forum. Unfortunately, I've been stricken down by the green devil. My SWG has fallen again in its battle against algae.

I have a Naturesoft/Goldline AquaRite SWG, almost 5 years old, on its second cell which is about a year old. First, the flow switch died (AGAIN) while I was on vacation for two weeks. Yay, fun. I fixed that, only to find the thing just doesn't like life anymore...

When initially powered up, the green power LED comes on, and the LCD screen displays "Err" for about 2-3 seconds, then it disappears. I can't say I ever noticed this before. Is that normal?

Next, normal start up appears to occur, with the flow light flashing for a minute or two. It eventually decides there is flow, and the green generating light kicks on. A bit after that, I hear a click, as generation actually begins, and the voltage and amps readings fluctuate as things stabilize. I'm reading around 25.1 volts, and 4.1 amps at this point.

After 2-3 minutes, the generating light shuts off, and the "Test Salt Level" and "Inspect Cell" lights go on at the same time. Sometimes they flash. Sometimes they don't. Either way, I'm no longer generating chlorine. The system indicates the salt level is 2200 in the short period it is generating.

I inspected, cleaned the cell, which is only about a year old. It looks pristine inside.

Does anyone have any clue as to where my problem lies - cell or PCB? I'm out of warranty at this point (I think, system is nearly 5 years old). I don't want to pay a kingly sum to someone to come out and tell me how much more I have to pay.

Thanks in advance!

FC 0
CC 0
CYA 60
PH 7.6
TA 160
Salt 3200 measured
Pool a pleasant, green tea shade.

schwim said:
FC 0
CC 0
CYA 60
PH 7.6
TA 160
Salt 3200 measured
Pool a pleasant, green tea shade.
Your TA is very high which, I suspect, makes it difficult to maintain proper pH. Also, you did not post your calcium hardness, which is an important parameter for a SWG,o matter the pool surface.

You could have a control board problem but I suspect that it might also be a water balance issue. How are you testing your water BTW?
You might want to read these posts on water balance for SWGs
category/pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3663

Until you solve your SWG problems, I would suggest you shock and quickly start manually chlorinating your pool with bleach. The algae bloom is well underway and will get much worse if you don't get chlorine in your pool.

Your TA is very high which, I suspect, makes it difficult to maintain proper pH. Also, you did not post your calcium hardness, which is an important parameter for a SWG,o matter the pool surface.

Unfortunately, that is a way of life here in Arizona. Our water is very hard. Even replacing the water does not help... I've been maintaining the TA level between 140 and 160 for several years by adding acid and aerating. Other pools I've had suffered the same, as do friends of mine. Its a fact of life.

CH is also way up there, above 600 I believe. I stopped measuring it since there is nothing I can do about it.

Either way, the SWG has worked perfectly under these conditions until these last few weeks.

duraleigh said:
Until you solve your SWG problems, I would suggest you shock and quickly start manually chlorinating your pool with bleach. The algae bloom is well underway and will get much worse if you don't get chlorine in your pool.
Yep, I'm already on that. I added lots of bleach last night, heading to target on my way home to stock up on more. The only reason I didn't do this earlier is it is difficult to see the quality of the water in my pool without walking out to it. The pool is actually about 60 feet out from my back patio.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.