Semi Inground Pool Package - What do you think about price?

Nov 29, 2014
North Bergen, NJ
Hi all.. So we are in the process of doing a brand new home build in NJ and while going through the budget I was able to find some savings to do a semi inground pool.. We really didn't want anything crazy as far as going all out with an custom inground.. Really just wanted something to lounge around in during the summer and with kids on the way we figure why not go ahead with it.. Our budget with install is about 15k.. We went to our local pool company and got our first quote.. They quoted $8600 for a 18x33 Sharkline Oasis pool with all standard accessories (filter, skimmer, basic chemicals, etc) to get us started.. Installation was quoted at an additional 1500 but only if I have my builder dig out the hole for the pool.. If the installer has to do the digging then it would be higher.. So total will be 10,100 plus costs of permits and misc minor items.. I am guessing 11k after everything is said and done.. Just wanted to see what some opinions were on here regarding the price.. I tried searching online and cant find much on Sharkline Pricing.. A few sites have costs listed and found a few that were a lot higher then my quote and 1 that was a few hundred cheaper.. I would think this is the time of year that they might be open to negotiate but not sure how far to try and go with it.. The price fits our budget and leaves room to do the deck that we want around the pool.. But if I can get a few hundred knocked off then why not.. Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had some input on this.. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

If you would like some input on which pump and filter they are including, then please post them up. As a word of caution, many of the above ground "package deals" leave something to be desired as far as the pump and filter goes. You are better off in the longrun in perhaps paying a few hundred to "upgrade", than to have to replace it relatively soon because of the inefficiency of it.

Here is a link for you from Pool School. It will give you some info equipment and perhaps something to consider.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/117-pool-equipment

Thank you for the welcoming.. We are trying to get the most for our money while at the same time not sacrificing quality.. Here is what the package includes:

Pool - Wilbar Int./Sharkline Semi Inground 18x33 Oval @ 54 inches deep
Filter - Hayward DE Filter (Did not specify model and honestly I forgot to ask for the specific model.. will have to check back with him tomorrow.)
Pump - Hayward 1hp Super Pump
Maintenance Kit - Wall brush, test strips, skimmer head and thermometer
Telescopic Poles - 2 x 6-12ft poles
Standard Vacuum Hose
Premium Skimmer w/ winterization plate
Floating Chlorine Dispenser
10lbs. DE
10,000 Gallon Chemical Kit - 2lbs PH+, 2lbs conditioner, 2lbs shock, and 1qt algaecide
3.5lbs Chlorine Tablets
Choice of in pool ladder or stairs (Doing deck around pool so will opt for stairs)
Robotic Pool Cleaner - I believe it was the aqua bot.. He said it was normally 300 but will include in package..

So the total for the above package is $8,600 Plus installation which I am having my foundation excavators do the digging so they are charging me $1750 for installation which includes sand (Separate company than pool seller).. And obviously tax would be on top of all of that.. So with no extras added on I am looking at about $10,350 for pool w/ install plus $725 taxes .. The only additional costs I have to see is electric which I am sure will be a pretty penny.. Just waiting to get a quote for that.. Also the pool company said they would do a heater for about $1900 and would either be Hayward or Pentair as they would have to see who has the best deal for me.. I believe it was a 250,000 btu unit..

Here is the layout for what we are looking to do..

Attachments

• pooldesign.jpg
    pooldesign.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 194
You might find some of the accessories you buy at the pool store are outrageous than what you can get them for online. Just a quick example, I bought the Confer Curved steps for 350. The local guys (two different stores) wanted over 500, and the other wanted 550.

I asked him if he would match it, and I would be down to get them today. He said no, he pays more for them. I literally LOL'd at him, and said.. ok, thanks for your time. I actually bought everything separate and online. Got exactly what I wanted, and paid a lot less. I saved quite a bit, heck almost 200 just on the steps. Might be worth asking them what they would sell just the pool for.

Sounds in the ballpark. We did a 30x22 steel wall/vinyl liner pool with swim out stairs and a similar "package" and it was about $7500 a few years ago. In Illinois. We started with a "sale" for a 22' octagon package for $4000. Added the steps for $1000 and two extra wall panels and bracing etc for about $2000 and between the up charge on the liner and other misc things we had included (like poolcrete for the bottom) it was about $7500.

The poolcrete for the bottom, in my opinion is a must. It is expensive and the install of it is expensive, but worth it to me.

We ended up doing the autocover and swg and robot cleaner at the same time so the money got out of control quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.