Sand coming through jets when cleaning.

Nov 28, 2014
gold coast
Hi All

Brand new poster here. I have done as much research as I can before posting but would appreciate some advice. We have a brand new IG pool about 30000liters. Pebble. We live in the bush and there is a fair bit of sandstone dirt at the moment that the kids feet now and then gets in the pool. I have been cleaning the pool and learning fast about PH and calcium ect. But now when I clean the pool, after sucking up the sand for say 15 min. Sand starts coming through the jets. and fills the pool with cloudy dust. I did a small back wash and rinse of our Hayward sand filter. And then ran the filter and that stopped the sand coming through the jets. But now I have cleaned it again halfway through sand started coming through the jets again. I am at of a loss at to what to do. As we are on tank water and water is a precious resource. Rinsing and backwashing (waste) empties alot of water.

Any and all help appreciated.

So you know I do not think the kids would have walked more than a small shovel load of sand into the pool total. It's not like its a beach in there just a small amount. I am quite bedazzled. I would call the pool installer. However our relations are not the best as when we were building the home and the pool he 1. filled the pool from our tanks (wasnt supposed too) and then left the tap running and lost 50000 liters of water down our block. Never gave us any water back either. So all help dearly appreciated Thankyou again

Brendan

Here is something you can try:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/7289-My-sand-is-quot-channeled-quot-how-to-fix-it

Sounds like your vacuuming a ton of sand up into the filter. If the sand in the filter is not channeled, the sand your vacuuming up will just add to the sand in the filter becoming overfilled. Backwash it on the highest speed if you have multiple speeds then rinse for a minute. Do you see alot of sand in the sightglass when you backwash? If you have to take the filter apart then inspect the laterals to see if they are broken.

Hi east thanks for your reply. I did backwash it for about a min and then rinse for about 10 seconds. The pool is all cloudy so I guess I will run the filter and try and clean again. I guess its a bit of a vicious cylce. It spits the sand out and I vacume it back in. there was no sand in the clear chamber when backwashing. Any other advice?? Thanks again for all your help. I have no experience taking the sand filter apart I went to the tread you suggested they seem to be doing that there. I have no valves on my system. A bit of a worry not really knowing how to take it apart ..maybe I need to call a different pool guy?? thoughts...thanks again much appreciated all BA

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I was looking at the wrong sight glass. yeah the little one has a bit of sand in it. I will try backwash again..how long should I rinse for do you think??

So an update I did open the filter up. I dont have sand in there it's like this crystal composition little glass like stones. Anyway I did the hose flush but was a bit nervous only did it for about 5 min. Not alot coming out i mean dirty but not all horrible. I tried to look at the laterals but they were so deeply covered by the sand/crystal stuff. I did not risk trying to get them out to look knowing i wouldnt be able to get them back in without emptying the filter. anyway it is filtering away. Doesnt seem any diff but I will clean it again soon see what she does. Thanks again .please advise if you have anything additional to say and thanks

Brendan

Do you suppose this kind of stuff is in it?
http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment/Pool-Pump-and-Pool-Filter-Accessories/FilterGlass/

Never used anything like that. It says its 20% lighter than sand. I use #20 filter sand. You will have to scoop most of the media out of the filter to pull the lateral. The laterals should all fold up to where the assembly will come out. If you already had it apart then the rest is easy. Just note where the top of the pipe is before hand so you can put it back in the same place. What model filter is it?

HI guys can I thankyou again. So good to have people who know what they r talking about helping. I have edited my signature so you have an idea. This is a brand new pool. Anyway. I know that the filter glass or sand replacement is definitely NOT what is coming back into the pool. It is definitely the sand I am vacuuming up. I am also getting white flakes into the pool (I believe thats the calcium ?? gah another prob) anyway the sand problem only happened today after vacuming nearly all the sand up out of the pool then out she came through the outlets. right now I am filtering away to try and clear the water. The pool is very murky from the sand. I would say there is a fair bit in there. So What is the best way to get the sand outta the pool?. Vacume half and then backwash? and rinse. And then vacume the rest and backwash and rinse. Tell me if I am wrong but since I have filter glass type stuff in the filter Can i presume the laterals are ok? Cause only sand is coming out. Would you think I am vacuming too much sand up and then the filter is overflowing and flowing it back into the pool? again all help appreciated. Let me know if you need some Music recording advice I am a gun at that!! :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm not sure why my signature isnt showing I have the show signature box ticked..but heres the info
8000 gal IG pebble rollover pool
Installed 2014. Hayward Pro series sand filter
Hayward sp274 pump
cholrine and ph test kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could try it and see what happens. I see your concerned about wasting water though. Your call on that. I've never had a sand filter so I'm only going by what I have seen others have for problems. ?

Yes mate, tank water BUT I have a spring that gives me 300liters a day to fill it up gradually dont know what else to do...?? Need it sorted ..Just spent 47 years saving up to build a house and a pool and I want my 7 year old to swim in it. Anyway thanks again all opinions appreciated guys. GREAT Forum!!

Did you see any sand in the filter when you had it open or was it all filter glass?

You may just have to let the sand in the pool settle then vacuum to waste as denniswiseman pointed out. That bypasses the filter. That may not fix your filter problems but it will at least get rid of most of the sand and alot of your water.

Here are the manuals in case you dont have one. There should be a model number on the filter somewhere.
https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/pools/manuals

No one has asked for psi results. It is one of the best ways to manage your filtering tasks.

1. What is the psi when the pump is off?

2. What is the psi when you have just completed a backwash?

3. What trigger do you use to determine it's time to backwash?

3. Does the psi drop (if so, to what) after you have backwashed.

Hi All thanks again for your help. Please read and help !!

So I let the sand settle last night Turned filter off overnight (it had been going all day).
DURALEIGH: I turned it to backwash Pump psi before backwash 0psi Pump while backwash 10psi. Pump when filtering 11psi. Pool is only 6 months old have only backwashed twice because of this situation. When backwashing some sandy water came into the seethrough filter glass see pic. PLease see pic of sand in pool. I backwashed for 50 sec and rinsed for 20 sec. There is now not enough water in the pool for pump to run. Can you guys please give some advice as to what to do. I am happy to filter to waste and buy water (we are on tank water).If I have too. I assume I have now got to put water in pool to vacume though right??. The skimmer basket has not enough water to run filter without air going through system please help guys. IF vacuming to waste do I simply put filter on waste connect vac and away I go. I am concerned this wont give me much time to vac before the pool water is below the skimmer level again?? please help thankyou all!! IMG_2998.jpgIMG_2999.jpg

So advice would be good when possible. Thankyou so much all!!. I think after doing alot of research the problem is simply I am vacuming so much dirt into filter the sand is eventually overflowing into pool. Too much sand into filter. The sand Only flowed into the pool after i had vacumed alot of the sand up! There is none of the glass like filter material in pool it is simply sand...the same sand I vacumed up...So fill the pool back up so that I can operate the pump with water. Then Either 1. vacume to waste. ? please advise how to do this? and refil water as needed to empty sand outta pool not in filter. or 2. Vacume half the pool. Then either take head off filter and flush filter with hose As mentioned and done earlier (will this rid the filter of the sand?) OR backwash and rinse?

What do you think. Either way I guess I need to put water in the pool right now right? As there is not enought for the pump to run? Thanks a million again all. Please help

Brendan

I would suggest using a woman's knee-hi stocking in the skimmer basket to catch most of the sand before it can get to the filter. I think that you would do better with a large cartridge filter rather than a sand filter. I know that the filter is new but I think that the benefits would be worthwhile long-term.

Hi James

Thanks for your advice..I will consider the cartridge filter when money is availiable BUT how do i get the sand which is now on the bottom of the pool into your stocking in the skimmer basket? Thanks again for your help??

Brendan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.