Pool Renovation in Markham, Ontario, Canada

g5marek

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2014
Markham/Ontario
We have finally taken the plunge and are renovating our pool and surrounding patio.

The following is what our pool looks like after the demolition of the wooden deck and the removal of the liner.
pool bottom.jpg

As you can see from the picture we are getting some water seeping in to the pool in the deep end. Most of it seems to be coming from where the walls the pool bottom join.

Intuitively I think that this should be fixed as there really shouldn't be any water under the liner. I have not talked to my PB about this as I wanted to be a bit more knowledgeable before I have the conversation.

What do you guys think? Is it necessary to fix this or will the water pressure of the full pool keep the ground water out?

Thank in advance

The water coming through the steel is normal. Its seeping in because there is ground water around the pool and it has no liner in it currently. Its most most likely caused by the weather we have been having lately. Once there is a new liner in it, the water in the pool will hold it out.

The water coming through the steel is normal. Its seeping in because there is ground water around the pool and it has no liner in it currently. Its most most likely caused by the weather we have been having lately. Once there is a new liner in it, the water in the pool will hold it out.

I went into the pool this evening and there is certainly a gap between the walls and the pool bottom. The ground water is clearly coming through this gap.

Is there any harm in fixing this? I can't imagine that this would cost very much and isn't keep the ground water out of the pool shell a good thing?

I would say fix it as best you can. The more the water leaks through there before the new liner is installed, then probably the wose that gap is going to get.

The best way I know if, is to put some vermiculite or pool-crete to fill the gap. Actually, when the bottom was initially installed, the vermiculite should have been installed and fared in up the wall by about 2 inches. At least thats what Ive read how it should be done and thats what was done on mine.

You will never keep the water out. You can patch the gap and should especially if it is a decent sized gap and if it has any sharp edges. But patching it won't stop the water. There is obviously water in the over dig of the pool and the easiest place for it to go is in your empty pool at the moment.

When my IG pool was installed a few years ago the PB poured a concrete collar around the bottom of the walls, where they meet the unexcavated earth. The poolcrete was then installed and flared up over the bottom of the walls forming the bevel. I would say not a whole lot you can do now. Mix up some poolcrete, pack in the big holes and drop a new liner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.