New Pool - test results - suggestions please

Lweber40

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2014
Friendswood, TX
Hi all. I live in Friendswood, Texas. I have been lurking for a few months while our pool has been under construction. It is now complete and has been filled for a week now. The PB did the startup this week and the pool is currently using a Fusion chlorinator which uses the trichlor tablets.

I have the k-2006c test kit. After one week here are my test results:

FC. 2.5
PH 8
TA 40
CH 210
CYA 0

Pool math is suggesting 34 oz bleach, 7.2 ox muriatic acid, 155 oz baking soda, 81 oz calcium chloride, and 59 oz of cya

Before adding all this I woulf just like assurance that my numbers make sense. It just seems like a lot of stuff to add and is a little scary.

Does this all sound reasonable to you?

Thank you,
Lynn

Welcome to TFP.

With a plaster/pebble surface there are special rules during the first month which need to be followed, and you should not simply follow our normal recommendations.

The first big question is: did the builder give you any specific instructions? If so you should follow those instructions as much as possible as your warranty may depend on it.

Second, PH, TA, and CH levels will all go up rapidly for the first month (or longer and slower if the water is cold). Be careful not to raise them manually too much, least they increase on their own and get too high.

CYA at zero is normal at this point. The tricolor tablets will bring it up for you, you should not add any at this time. The same goes for FC levels, the tricolor should take care of it for you during the first month.

TA is a little low. It will go up, but could perhaps use a small bump (+10 or so) now.

You want to keep the PH below 8.0. Typically that means lowering it to 7.2 any time it gets up around 8.0.

CH is good. It will go up a bit on it's own and looks like it will end up just fine.

The final issue has to do with winterizing. If you need to winterize there are some special rules for plaster that is applied in the late fall. Given your location you probably don't need to winterize, so I won't go into that unless you ask further about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.