FC tripled in one day

mbeck5

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 16, 2014
Dallas, Tx
Good morning. Been trouble free since April and have never enjoyed our pool more than this year. Thanks to all who helped in the transition. Yesterday my readings were:

FC - 4.0
CC - 0
PH - 7.7
TA - 50
CYA - 40
CH - 350

I added one gallon of 8.25 bleach which is what I have been adding approx 3 times a week since the weather got colder.

This morning the readings are:

FC - 14.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 50
CYA -40
CH - 350 I tested the FC 3 times and got the same readings. It is about 45 degrees here this morning. We keep our pool open and running year round. Using the same chemicals and leaving CYA for last based on some
cold water info I have read on here. The water is beautiful. Any idea what might have happened and what I should do? Appreciate your help.

Just let the chlorine come down on its own, you will not have to add any for a little while.

My best guess is that the first test was not accurate for some reason and now the FC is a little high.

If you accidentally used a 25 ml sample for the most recent test, that would mean that your actual fc is 5.8, which is close to the expected level based on the starting fc, pool volume, and amount of bleach added.

If you have tabs in a feeder or skimmer or a swg or a peristaltic pump adding chlorine, then that could explain the discrepancy.

Good morning. It appears that JamesW was correct. I must have used a 25 ml sample because this morning, my readings are back to normal. The embarrassing part is that I did the test 3 times and must have used the wrong sample size 3 times. My apologies for wasting everyones time and thank you for the support.

Good morning. It appears that JamesW was correct. I must have used a 25 ml sample because this morning, my readings are back to normal. The embarrassing part is that I did the test 3 times and must have used the wrong sample size 3 times. My apologies for wasting everyones time and thank you for the support.
Just wait until you add the wrong reagent to one of the other tests and wonder why it won't change colors even after dumping half a bottle of the third reagent in... :mrgreen:

Man.... dont worry! We have all been there. LOL! We can laugh with you and not at you!
:)

I'm glad you've enjoyed your pool more than ever before. This TFP isn't so bad is it?

Happy Thanksgiving

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.