Sulfamic acid

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Some references say that sulfamic acid is used as a chlorine stabilizer. It looks like Jack's Magic # 2 is mostly sulfamic acid. That would indicate that it can be used for copper and scale as well.

Does anyone know about it's use in pools or water treatment in general.?

One of it's more common uses is as an acidic cleaning agent, often used to remove scaling from industrial equipment. It is safer than the regular acids when used around chlorine because it does not cause the formation of chlorine gas when mixed with common chlorine compounds, which all of the other common acids will do.

I haven't heard of anything about it being a chlorine stabilizer.

From a quick Google search I found the papers
STUDIES ON THE ROLE OF SULFAMIC ACID AS A DESCALANT IN DESALINATION PLANTS
and
STUDY THE PERFORMANCE OF SULFAMIC ACID AND CITRIC ACID IN REMOVAL THE SCALE DEPOSITED ON THE DURA REFINERY HEAT EXCHANGE PIPING SYSTEM

This paper talks about sulfamic acid reacting with chlorine to form chlorosulfamic acid and how sulfamic acid was an effective hypochlorous acid scavenger when used in bleach pulping that used chlorine dioxide. The question is what is the equilibrium constant for chlorosulfamic acid vs. hypochlorous acid. Also, what is the disinfection and algae inhibition capability of chlorosulfamic acid?

Some references say that sulfamic acid forms N-chloro sulfamates. In any case, I can't find any references that show sulfamic acid actually being used in swimming pools as a chlorine stabilizer.

According to the "Handbook of Chlorination" by Clifford White, Sulfamic Acid was used a short time around 1956.
But it was found not to be very effective and discontinued.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.