CC at 0 but I still have an algea problem?!

Elle

May 16, 2007
Northern NY
I just did a test and being that I can barely see the bottom of the pool again I expected to have a high CC level. My cc however is at 0? My FC was at 2 so I upped it and now it's reading 18. I will go back out and check it again in a half hour.

I've had the hardest time keeping the pool clear this year for some reason. Not as dilligent as normal, hardly swimming b/c of crappy weather, lots of rain. you name it and we've got it. It's supposed to be nice the next few days and I'd like to have it clean.

Algea just takes over so quickly :(

Anything else I should be doing? I'm just overly frustrated today. Seems I have this problem every other week. It's clear for a while and then we get lots of rain and bam it's green and cloudy again.

Thanks

~Ellen

With a CYA showing less than 20 I would suspect you have none in your pool. Its important that you get some stabilizer in there. This will help protect your chlorine from being burned off in the hot sun. Im assuming your pool is a vinyl ? If it is your ideal CYA level should be 30-50ppm . I thin your lack of CYA is causing your chlorine to be consumed by the algae before it has a chance to do its job. What is your source of chlorine ?

Secondly your TA is very low it should be bought up to between 90- 110 ideally. Your PH is slightly low as well but with shocking high chlorine will give you false PH readings.

Try reading our Pool School Section. There is a lot of great information there to help you clear up your pool.

Thanks! :)

my main source of Cl is bleach. I have also been supplimenting with the 3' tabs to try and get my CYA up to higher levels. So far it hasn't worked. Do the tabs lower TA? It was at 80 when I checked it a few weeks ago.

I've spent the last hour reviewing the info here at the forum! I "know" it but sometimes I just don't keep up with it.

Is it better to have the cover on or off while trying to get it clean?

Thanks

The tabs are very acidic and will deplete TA and lower your pH. Your problem is simply because the pool does not have enough stabilier. Just put some stabilizer in it and be done with it. That is the easiest way! Start with a 40 ppm level and keep your FC at about 4 ppm to see how that does.

Thanks Waterbear. What is the suggested way to put it in and where do i get it from? Will it make a difference that we will close the pool in a few weeks with a partial drain? Should I just wait until next season?

Thanks so much.

There are two thoughts that come to mind here.

If your swim season is going to be over in a few weeks and your not swimming now this is what I would try to do. Put some CYA in the water and bring it to 30 -50ppm and get your water all cleared u then close it for the season knowing that next year your pool will already be clear when you uncover it ...

OR

You can just close it and deal with it next year.

I would be inclined to try to clear it up this year before you close it. Then shock the pool and cover it up !!

Sorry for your troubles. One thing you might try in the future is if you expect rain, go out and bump up your FC level a bit, prior to and right after the rain. That might prevent the pool from turning green. Also, increase your filtering time if you got a big storm. But with proper CYA and FC levels, you shouldn't turn green every time it rains, you'll have to remember to stay on it, or get an SWG. LOL.

Good luck. I would clear it up, it should take a day or a few. I wouldn't cover it, you'll just end up with a worse mess than you have now. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.