A&A valve actuator trouble

Nov 22, 2014
phx, az
I moved into my current house 2 years ago and I must say that the inground pop-ups have been my favorite part of the pool. I have never had such a clean pool. Combine that with it being a salt system and other than a chemical check once a week, just to make sure, it needs absolutely no upkeep or cleaning. The only trouble I have had with it is that in the last 2 years I have had to replace the impeller twice and the gears once. They just get worn out it seems. I am not complaining about this because its definitely worth the sparkling pool with no work.

NOW I am having an issue though. Last week I noticed my pump was VERY loud and my pool wasn't cleaning. This must have been going on for a few days or up to a week (hot tub drained by now). At first I thought it was the pump, but when I divert things to only the hottub, it started working again. I figured out it is something in the actuator valve dome. All the gears and impeller and parts look good and work as they should. When I spin it i spins freely. I seemed to be getting somewhere, but it got dark so I had to call it quits for the night.

Heres what i have figured out so far though. After playing around with it, putting everything back together, then turning on the pump. Everything works and it all starts cycling. There is definitely much louder noises coming from the actuator dome, but it all works. Then all of a sudden after X amount of minutes it stops working. When it stops working, the impeller stops spinning. There is also a noise in there as if there is alot of air coming through, even though it is still filled with water (so obviously no air?). However, You can definitely tell there is barely any kind of flow in the dome. From here on in its done. Every once in a while you will see that the impeller almost start to spin, but it doesn't. There just isn't enough pressure I think. At this point the pressure at the filter is 0. However, if I divert everything around the dome and just the spa, the pump and spa work normally. When I divert it back, the pump starts making its loud noise again and the system still doesn't work.

Just to recap. Taking everything apart in the dome, it all looks good. Spinning the gears works good. Turning the pool back on after opening the dome and spinning the system, results in the system working temporarily. I did not have enough time to figure out if it was a specific valve it would always get stuck on or randomly. So that is definitely one of my next steps. Is it safe to assume it is something in the dome? What should I look for? Have you guys seen this before? What am I looking at on the valves to see if it is broken.

Thanks in advance!

The first thing to do is replace the pressure gauge so you'll know what the pressure actually is.

If there's truly no air getting in the system then you likely have a shaft worn in the distributor. That would allow the gears to bind up even though they're not worn.

What pressure gauge? The pressure guage on the filter housing is working. There is no pressure guage on the valve housing. I'm not sure if the new models have that, but mine definitely doesnt. Mine looks like this:

http://www.infloorpoolparts.com/6-p...e-water-valve-replacement-kit15-and-6152.html

Can you explain what a 'shaft worn in the distributor' is? I'm handy and generally can fix many things on my own, but I don't specialize in pools so I do not actually know part names, locations or anything like that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.