unable to attach picture

budysr

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
Pensacola
The forum is not letting me attach a jpg picture file using the "upload attachment" feature. I know alot of people us photobucket for picture posting but I do not have a photobucket account set up, and really don't want to set one up either. Is it not possible to upload a jpg picture file from your computer to the forum? When I try, I get a message that its an invalid file

I am not trying to do an avatar. I just want to be able to post an actual picture and the forum claims its an invalid file after I attempt to upload. Its just jpg files so I don't know why its invalid.

Well, I was able to post some practice pics of various size JPGs. So I'm not sure why yours isn't working. The only thing I can think of just now is try to resize it and see what happens. Sean, the site admin, when he is online, will certainly be able to help better.

waterbear said:
What browser are you using, how big is the jpeg, does it have a jpeg or jpg extension, what is your OS, and what is the exact error message you get?
I am using IE 7 on a vista 64 bit os. The Jpeg files are from an 8mp camera about 3mb in size and they are a .jpg file
Error message is........."the image file you tried to attach is invalid"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would it be possible to add the information about maximum file size to the place where you attach a photo? Otherwise, folks (like me) might spend an hour trying to post and image, thinking there is something wrong with their file type, before they find this thread.

singerteacher said:
Would it be possible to add the information about maximum file size to the place where you attach a photo? Otherwise, folks (like me) might spend an hour trying to post and image, thinking there is something wrong with their file type, before they find this thread.

Using Photobucket or similar sites is really quite easy, and free, so that's what I use to attach photos. Then I don't have to worry about file sizes. When people ask how to add a pic, that's the route I give them. :wink:

I don't use Photobucket ... and it's easy to attach a photo, so I don't see any reason to start using it. I've already attached my photo. I'm just suggesting that TFP add a couple of small words mentioning the file size limit to the page that appears when you post a reply. At the bottom of that page is the section for attaching photos. It would be an easy thing to mention the photo size limit there, and then people could resize before posting, instead of searching around to try to figure out why they can't post.

singerteacher said:
I don't use Photobucket ... and it's easy to attach a photo, so I don't see any reason to start using it. I've already attached my photo. I'm just suggesting that TFP add a couple of small words mentioning the file size limit to the page that appears when you post a reply. At the bottom of that page is the section for attaching photos. It would be an easy thing to mention the photo size limit there, and then people could resize before posting, instead of searching around to try to figure out why they can't post.

Perhaps you can post your comment in the suggestion box section of the forum. :goodjob:

I found out what is happening in this situation. It is a fairly common problem with phpBB based forums and can't be fixed easily.

If the image is less than 2 Meg, and larger than the upload limit, you get an appropriate error message. But if the image is larger than 2 Meg some security software steps in and cuts off the upload to protect the sever from being flooded with large files. The forum software then looks at the truncated image file and decides that it is invalid, which it is at that point since it has been truncated, and says invalid image file.

There is no easy work around, without compromising security.

I do not know how to re-size my photos. I would like to be able to pull the photos from my Zoom Browser EX program. But I have no clue how to resize the photos to fit this application.

I have minimal experience using attachments, it doesn't usually work, so I don't try very often. I was hoping to not add another program like PhotoBucket

JoAnne

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.