Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unable to attach picture

1. Back To Top    #1

unable to attach picture

The forum is not letting me attach a jpg picture file using the "upload attachment" feature. I know alot of people us photobucket for picture posting but I do not have a photobucket account set up, and really don't want to set one up either. Is it not possible to upload a jpg picture file from your computer to the forum? When I try, I get a message that its an invalid file
    24' AGP vinyl, 3/4hp Pentair 2-speed, Pentair Quad DE 60
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: unable to attach picture

Try moving the pic to your desk top then uploading it ..... If your trying to use it as an avitar it might be to large
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am not trying to do an avatar. I just want to be able to post an actual picture and the forum claims its an invalid file after I attempt to upload. Its just jpg files so I don't know why its invalid.
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you tried to cut & paste the url to here ? I use photo bucket for all my pictures so I am not sure what the trouble could be. Some who can help should have some info soon ......
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

5. Back To Top    #5

no, i was hoping to avoid using a web based service like photobucket and be able to upload a photo directly off my computer---not a url in this situation.
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there not anybody else that can help with picture posting?
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm working on something to see if I can help you. How big is the file? Is it possible it's too big, and needs to be resized?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, I was able to post some practice pics of various size JPGs. So I'm not sure why yours isn't working. The only thing I can think of just now is try to resize it and see what happens. Sean, the site admin, when he is online, will certainly be able to help better.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

9. Back To Top    #9

What browser are you using, how big is the jpeg, does it have a jpeg or jpg extension, what is your OS, and what is the exact error message you get?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    What browser are you using, how big is the jpeg, does it have a jpeg or jpg extension, what is your OS, and what is the exact error message you get?
    I am using IE 7 on a vista 64 bit os. The Jpeg files are from an 8mp camera about 3mb in size and they are a .jpg file
    Error message is........."the image file you tried to attach is invalid"
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

The attachment limit is 256 KiB.
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

12. Back To Top    #12

For an excellent freeware program to resize them try Irfanview. It is a very well known free graphics program for windoze.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna try to attach one now that I have resized[attachment=0:n65zy8p9]IMG_0003.JPG[/attachment:n65zy8p9]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Rover Jr.
    TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Would it be possible to add the information about maximum file size to the place where you attach a photo? Otherwise, folks (like me) might spend an hour trying to post and image, thinking there is something wrong with their file type, before they find this thread.
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by singerteacher
    Would it be possible to add the information about maximum file size to the place where you attach a photo? Otherwise, folks (like me) might spend an hour trying to post and image, thinking there is something wrong with their file type, before they find this thread.
    Using Photobucket or similar sites is really quite easy, and free, so that's what I use to attach photos. Then I don't have to worry about file sizes. When people ask how to add a pic, that's the route I give them.

16. Back To Top    #16

I don't use Photobucket ... and it's easy to attach a photo, so I don't see any reason to start using it. I've already attached my photo. I'm just suggesting that TFP add a couple of small words mentioning the file size limit to the page that appears when you post a reply. At the bottom of that page is the section for attaching photos. It would be an easy thing to mention the photo size limit there, and then people could resize before posting, instead of searching around to try to figure out why they can't post.

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by singerteacher
    I don't use Photobucket ... and it's easy to attach a photo, so I don't see any reason to start using it. I've already attached my photo. I'm just suggesting that TFP add a couple of small words mentioning the file size limit to the page that appears when you post a reply. At the bottom of that page is the section for attaching photos. It would be an easy thing to mention the photo size limit there, and then people could resize before posting, instead of searching around to try to figure out why they can't post.
    Perhaps you can post your comment in the suggestion box section of the forum.

18. Back To Top    #18

I found out what is happening in this situation. It is a fairly common problem with phpBB based forums and can't be fixed easily.

If the image is less than 2 Meg, and larger than the upload limit, you get an appropriate error message. But if the image is larger than 2 Meg some security software steps in and cuts off the upload to protect the sever from being flooded with large files. The forum software then looks at the truncated image file and decides that it is invalid, which it is at that point since it has been truncated, and says invalid image file.

There is no easy work around, without compromising security.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

That does sound difficult. But instead of an error message, how about just adding the words "256Kb file size limit" to the little box where you select the photo to attach? (I'll also submit this to the suggestion box -- good idea, fpm!)

20. Back To Top    #20

I do not know how to re-size my photos. I would like to be able to pull the photos from my Zoom Browser EX program. But I have no clue how to resize the photos to fit this application.

I have minimal experience using attachments, it doesn't usually work, so I don't try very often. I was hoping to not add another program like PhotoBucket

JoAnne
    60+ year old 50'x15' IG 30K gal LRB coated cinderblock with no drains, no skimmers, all plumbing external, spent the last 3 years chipping to substrate to patch, repair and coat with a pool sealing product from Sanitred by myself to hopefully eliminate 2 months yearly getting the antique pool ready. The original "cement pond"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast