Detecting and Repairing Pool in Cold

Nov 19, 2014
Biloxi, MS
Bought a 24' round above ground pool this year, used TFP bleach method and successfully kept it clean all summer for the family to enjoy. Where I live, freezing won't be an issue, but leaves falling in the pool will be a problem. For the past couple of months I've been running the pump a little here and there, running the robot vaccum weekly, and adding a gallon of bleach from time to time - no problems and has been crystal clear. I planned to keep doing so throughout the winter so at least we'd be looking at a pretty pool. Unfortunatly, I have a leak that started two weeks ago and am loosing about 1/2 inch per day. So far, I'm just adding water a couple times a week, but I think I need to take action. The water is too cold to go swimming looking for the leak. I worry about a collapse if I simply let it drain and repair in the Spring. I'm concerned that an ongoing leak will eventally create a cavity under the pool. I have no clue where the leak is, only that there is a wet rim around half of the pool (which may or may not signal a vicinity because it happens to be very slightly lower in grade). The leak is below the skimmer and the wet gound confirms it's not an issue with the pipes/filter/pump which are on the dry side of the pool. I wonder if I could drain the pool one day, repair the leak and refill over the next day? I'm assuming this is not an option due to the cold and non-pliability of the liner. If there would be no damage caused by the leak, I don't mind just adding water weekly to keep it full (I'm on a well). Apprecaite any advice. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP !
That's a bummer. Is there any way you could have the pool filled by having water brought in ? I know in my area volunteer fire depts will fill pools. Having the liner exposed for a whole day is iffy. If this isn't an option, then keeping it topped off till spring is probably your best bet. You don't want to let it drain down as it will lose its structural integrity.?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.