Filter leaks a tiny amount at high RPM [SOLVED]

jjslinger

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
See my sig for equipment. The filter is a Sta-Rite System 3.

I cleaned my cartridges 2 weeks ago, and thought all was fine, but I just noticed that at high RPM, I get about 3 drips.

When my system turns on, for some reason my variable speed pump always senses that it needs to prime itself (it doesn't really need priming, I'm sure I have no suction side leaks), and runs at full RPM (~3000 something) for a few seconds before dropping to its normal speed. This is when I get about 3 drips from the filter, where the upper and lower parts of the tank meet (where the big o-ring is).

Should I:

1. Ignore it.
2. Take the filter apart, clean and lube the o-ring, and re-assemble.
3. Get a new o-ring.
4. Try to reset my pump sensitivity so it doesn't needlessly try to prime itself every time it comes on (I've never messed with this, I left it in the factory default setting).
5. ???

The filter is 3 years old. I have cleaned the cartridges 6 times -- the pressure never goes up (yet) so I just do it in spring and fall.

The manual says not to lube the o-ring, but based on comments from TFP veterans, I lubed it (sparingly) the first time with a silicone lube of course.

When priming at high RPM, the pressure reads 15 PSI; when running normally at 1400 RPM, the pressure is close to zero, but maybe it's 1 or 2, hard to tell.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Re: Filter leaks a tiny amount at high RPM

I would adjust the priming speed way down or just turn it off. Minor drips bug me, so I would take it apart and clean and lubricate the o-ring. However, unless the drip is causing problems, some people don't think it's worth the effort. It's a personal preference.

Be sure not to stretch the o-ring. Also, lightly tapping on the clamp with a rubber hammer (not a regular hammer) while tightening the nut can help the clamp get tight evenly.

Also, lightly tapping on the clamp with a rubber hammer (not a regular hammer) while tightening the nut can help the clamp get tight evenly.
I think this is a key point for the metal clamps on most filters. But, doesn't the System 3 have multiple plastic knobs used to hold the filter together? I have never seen one in person, so not sure how to ensure you get everything nice and tight.

We certainly see multiple reports of people not liking the System 3 ... cartridges are harder to clean than most and very expensive.

But, doesn't the System 3 have multiple plastic knobs used to hold the filter together?
System 3's have either 7 or 8 knobs; mine has 7. It is a pain because it takes a long time to operate all those 7 knobs when servicing. I personally don't mind how heavy the big cartridge is, I can handle it easy enough. I would prefer cheaper replacement cartridges however.

I cleaned and lubed the o-ring with Magic Lube ii. It seems to have fixed the problem - no drips even when the pump goes to its highest RPM. I'll check tomorrow, I put some cups underneath to catch any drips, but I think I got it. Thanks for the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.