Seawater Pools

vaughanwilliams

In The Industry
Jul 24, 2008
Kyrenia, Northern Cyprus
Over here in Cyprus we are having a severe freshwater shortage. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about seawater pools? I know big hotels have seawater pools, but they just suck water out of the sea and let it pour back in again. I'm talking about tankering seawater to inland pools where the system will be a regular pump/filter setup.
Apart from the corrosion issue, whats to stop me using seawater and just chlorinating it as if it were freshwater?

As long as you deal with the corrosion issues then everything else is essentially the same. The higher salt level will change the chemistry just slightly, for example the CSI is noticeably lower, but that only requires minor adjustments.

Here at the Eastern end of the Mediterranean, we have salinties of 39,000ppm!! due to the lack of circulation and low river outflows.
I like swimming in the sea here as it is very buoyant and requires v.little effort.
I know some won't like seawater in their pool, but the choice could be that or empty in a few years time.
At the moment we don't have enough water to wash our cars or water our gardens.

Im sure I have an extreme dislike for sea water that others probably don't share. But if thats all there is then a sea water pool it is. I went on a cruise a couple years ago and jumped into the refreshing water of the ships pool only to find to my surprise it was sea water. I adjusted and did just fine but it was a surprise :)

Hello Vaughan
Also remember that with evaperation your salt levels will get higher as well, [dead sea :shock: everything will float].
also a few aussie made swg's work with sea water, example Monarch,

Strannick who spends time here, can help you with this.
Hope this helps
Happy swims
Frank

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.