Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Seawater Pools

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Seawater Pools

Over here in Cyprus we are having a severe freshwater shortage. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about seawater pools? I know big hotels have seawater pools, but they just suck water out of the sea and let it pour back in again. I'm talking about tankering seawater to inland pools where the system will be a regular pump/filter setup.
    Apart from the corrosion issue, whats to stop me using seawater and just chlorinating it as if it were freshwater?
    Vaughan Williams
    Octopus Pools
    Kyrenia
    Northern Cyprus

Pool construction, repairs & maintenance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Seawater Pools

As long as you deal with the corrosion issues then everything else is essentially the same. The higher salt level will change the chemistry just slightly, for example the CSI is noticeably lower, but that only requires minor adjustments.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

yuck!! Sea water!! When I swim in the ocean in Cancun I feel like Im liking a salt block
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Here at the Eastern end of the Mediterranean, we have salinties of 39,000ppm!! due to the lack of circulation and low river outflows.
    I like swimming in the sea here as it is very buoyant and requires v.little effort.
    I know some won't like seawater in their pool, but the choice could be that or empty in a few years time.
    At the moment we don't have enough water to wash our cars or water our gardens.
    Vaughan Williams
    Octopus Pools
    Kyrenia
    Northern Cyprus

5. Back To Top    #5

Im sure I have an extreme dislike for sea water that others probably don't share. But if thats all there is then a sea water pool it is. I went on a cruise a couple years ago and jumped into the refreshing water of the ships pool only to find to my surprise it was sea water. I adjusted and did just fine but it was a surprise
    24,000 gal SWG pool
    Bunch of stuff
    Aqua Blue Pebblesheen
    2 Colorlogic LED lights
    Huge Hayward D.E. filter
    more stuff

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I just found out that with a modification an Aligator siver/copper oxide system will work on seawater. Anyone any experience of this?
    Vaughan Williams
    Octopus Pools
    Kyrenia
    Northern Cyprus

7. Back To Top    #7

I would stay away from the ionizer. However, the Pool Pilot will work in sea water. It is the only SWG that I know of that will.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hello Vaughan
    Also remember that with evaperation your salt levels will get higher as well, [dead sea everything will float].
    also a few aussie made swg's work with sea water, example Monarch,

Strannick who spends time here, can help you with this.
    Hope this helps
    Happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.