Saw a 250# anvil for sale in Virginia. If you have connections there or will travel there over the holidays, let me know and I'll PM you the contact.

I'm kind of stuck in the Kansas region, but I could travel with in a day's drive. I'm not sure if this is really something I want to sink a bunch of money into a hobby I may not take too. Kind of like a boat or an airplane. I've been there with both. I guess, I'm looking for advice.

My son is just getting started with learning blacksmithing. He has found a lot of information online. Flea markets are a good source of tools that can be used for blacksmithing, especially if you have vendors that specialize in old farm tools. Some of those old steel tools can be recycled. You can also see if there is a blacksmithing society in your area. A quick google search turned up http://gpba.abana-chapter.com/ .

If you're just starting out and just want to tinker around to see if you like it. Go to the scrap yard and get a few feet of railroad track and make your own. That way you can tinker without it costing you very much. I've pounded a ton of stuff out on a piece of RR track.

A good place to find used anvils and other tools is a local flea market. You may have to be patient, but it usually doesn't take long for one to show up.

I know about the high prices and I'm considering the RR track option. I hadn't thought of the flea markets, good call. I'm already reading other forums. This was a shout out to this forum, because everyone here has been reliable in the past.
Thanks.

I went to visit a former neighbor yesterday. This 96 y.o.gentleman has about 15 acres covered with wide varieties of scrap, salvage and any thing else you can imagine. I got the RR track and a brake drum for the forge. I will return at a later time to get a few things to build the hearth table. I also found a blacksmith leg vice.
I would recommend the YouTube videos from Calerin Forge. He does a good job of breaking things down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm here at Pinal. Wow, it is hot. After a day like today, I would much rather be in my pool than swinging a hammer. I have come to the conclusion, most hobbies are seasonal.

- - - Updated - - -

Indubatibly, $3-5/lb used and $8-10/lb new. Avoid the discount hardware store varieties.

Try a farm auction for an anvil. You might get lucky and find a blower, too. I found 5 sets of tongs at a yard sale...it's around if you keep your eyes open. And hammers- if you blacksmith you can never have too many!

I built my forge out of a thick walled steel tank I bought at a scrapyard for $10.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.