Air in lines

vittoria

LifeTime Supporter
May 5, 2008
Northern NJ
This morning when I turned on my inground pool there was a large amount of air belching into the pool from the return lines. I also had to bleed air from the filter. Once I let it run for a minute everything looked fine. No air bubbles anywhere that I can see now. I turned it off again for about an hour and turned it on, no air this time. Right now it's running. I'm not sure if it's lost water or not. I've marked the level.

This is the first time I've seen this. The pool was totally overhauled about 4 years ago and have not seen any air since that time. (All lines and fittings replaced, new skimmers, new pump, new liner, new masonry surrounding the pool...the works.)

Right now, as it's running:

Pump basket has no air bubbles and had not lost its prime.

No air bubbles at all from return lines

No drips.

I plan to plug up the skimmers and returns but can't do that until tomorrow night.

In the meantime, what sort of leak would allow air into the system while off but then show no air bubbles once running?

(I'm hoping I don't have to have the new concrete dug up already.)

Thank you-
Vickie

18x36 inground vinyl-lined
Hayward DE4800 filter
1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump
Raypak MV Heater

I would not be overly concearned by this, it was an isolated incident. Suction side leaks tend to draw air into your pool, but drawing air when your equipment is not running would not really concearn me. Make sure your water is up high enough. Certain pumps and filters are prevalent to having slight vaccum leaks when not pressurized. I have noticed waterways cartridge filters tend to do it for example. They dont leak while on, but slowly blead air while the pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.