Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in lines

1. Back To Top    #1

Air in lines

This morning when I turned on my inground pool there was a large amount of air belching into the pool from the return lines. I also had to bleed air from the filter. Once I let it run for a minute everything looked fine. No air bubbles anywhere that I can see now. I turned it off again for about an hour and turned it on, no air this time. Right now it's running. I'm not sure if it's lost water or not. I've marked the level.

This is the first time I've seen this. The pool was totally overhauled about 4 years ago and have not seen any air since that time. (All lines and fittings replaced, new skimmers, new pump, new liner, new masonry surrounding the pool...the works.)

Right now, as it's running:

Pump basket has no air bubbles and had not lost its prime.

No air bubbles at all from return lines

No drips.

I plan to plug up the skimmers and returns but can't do that until tomorrow night.

In the meantime, what sort of leak would allow air into the system while off but then show no air bubbles once running?

(I'm hoping I don't have to have the new concrete dug up already.)

Thank you-
    Vickie

18x36 inground vinyl-lined
    Hayward DE4800 filter
    1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump
    Raypak MV Heater
    ---28K gal 18x36 in-ground vinyl lined pool---Hayward 1.5 HP super pump---Hayward DE4800 filter---Raypak RP2100 heater---

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Air in lines

I would not be overly concearned by this, it was an isolated incident. Suction side leaks tend to draw air into your pool, but drawing air when your equipment is not running would not really concearn me. Make sure your water is up high enough. Certain pumps and filters are prevalent to having slight vaccum leaks when not pressurized. I have noticed waterways cartridge filters tend to do it for example. They dont leak while on, but slowly blead air while the pump is off.
    Matthew
    Involved in the pool and spa industry
    Pittsburgh, PA