Gonna run pool all year. Have several questions

Jul 6, 2013
Waxahachie, Tx.
First of all I hope this is the right place to post this. We are going to keep our pool open all winter and I have several questions. But first here is the test results before I get any further.

On 11-6-14 the water temp was 60F so the SWG was still generating.
FC 9, TA 120, PH 7.2, CYA 70, water temp 60F

11-11-14
FC 7.5, no change to anything else except water temp 57F

11-13-14
FC 6.5 water temp now 47F, SWG not generating.
Outside temp 20-43F
11-17-14
FC 5, TA 120, PH 7.4, CYA 80, water temp 47F.
Outside temp 24-43F

So my question is, since my FC level has only dropped 1.5 in say 3 days, would it be easier to just dose the pool with enough bleach say every 5-7 days to raise the FC back to good a level and just test and monitor from that point forward.
I am trying make this as easy as possible on my wife after I go to work next week so she does not have to do this every couple of days.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help. Am I thinking in the right direction?

You could raise the FC up higher and hope to reduce the frequency of testing / dosing. You will actually have a higher FC consumption by having higher FC levels, but the loses are lower in the winter anyway so this may not be that big of a deal.

You just need to be testing often enough to understand the way the chemistry is going to behave. Still do not want the FC to drop too low at any point.

Im in Texas too and I dose with bleach in wintertime. I raise mine up to just below SLAM level and let it drift down.
Usually a couple or 3 weeks between doses.

First of all I hope this is the right place to post this. We are going to keep our pool open all winter and I have several questions. But first here is the test results before I get any further.

On 11-6-14 the water temp was 60F so the SWG was still generating.
FC 9, TA 120, PH 7.2, CYA 70, water temp 60F

11-11-14
FC 7.5, no change to anything else except water temp 57F

11-13-14
FC 6.5 water temp now 47F, SWG not generating.
Outside temp 20-43F
11-17-14
FC 5, TA 120, PH 7.4, CYA 80, water temp 47F.
Outside temp 24-43F

So my question is, since my FC level has only dropped 1.5 in say 3 days, would it be easier to just dose the pool with enough bleach say every 5-7 days to raise the FC back to good a level and just test and monitor from that point forward.
I am trying make this as easy as possible on my wife after I go to work next week so she does not have to do this every couple of days.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help. Am I thinking in the right direction?

Just trying to make this as easy as possible on the wife while I am away on businees for the next 3 weeks. I understand about the testing enough. Not much different than maintaining during the swim season.
Also have to monitor the water temp if it gets to 50 or higher, then the SWG will start making chlorine.
So, should I just does based on my current CYA level, which would require a FC of around 10? Or take it higher and test as normal till FC falls to near min level and the dose?

- - - Updated - - -

Im in Texas too and I dose with bleach in wintertime. I raise mine up to just below SLAM level and let it drift down.
Usually a couple or 3 weeks between doses.
Sorry I did not see your post before I replied. But what your doing is exactly what I was trying to ask.

I think most of us who leave our pool open all winter do just about the same. I suppose some folks will test more often than others.

Once the water is 50 degrees or lower, I use the FAS-DPD and get an actual FC level. Then use pool math, and add the chlorine to get me to SLAM FC. After that 1st time, I dont even use my FAS-DPD test anymore until Springtime. I just use the OCD test for chlorine and test maybe once a week if its been sunny. If not sunny, then I might stretch it 10 days or so.

As long as its above 5 using the OCD test, I call it good. Once the chlorine gets down to 5, I just use Pool Math to tell me how much chlorine to add to get back to SLAM level, and I add that much. I dont test it again to see if its actually at SLAM, If its a tad higher or lower that the SLAM level, then so what? It wont hurt anything. I just go with it.

With all of that said, I know what my water is supposed to look like, and I look at it every day to make sure it isnt trying to do something funny behind my back! haha

As for the water warming back up enough for the SWG to start working again, Its gonna take quite a few really nice days in a row to raise the water temp back up that much. Not to say that cant happen, after all, we are in Texas, but the odds of it aren't all that high, so I dont think you really have to worry about the SWG coming on and overchlorinating the pool. Certainly not enough to loose sleep or bite your nails over.

Hope this helps,

Just trying to make this as easy as possible on the wife while I am away on businees for the next 3 weeks. I understand about the testing enough. Not much different than maintaining during the swim season.
Also have to monitor the water temp if it gets to 50 or higher, then the SWG will start making chlorine.
So, should I just does based on my current CYA level, which would require a FC of around 10? Or take it higher and test as normal till FC falls to near min level and the dose?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I did not see your post before I replied. But what your doing is exactly what I was trying to ask.

Thanks for all the replies and good info. I just bought some bleach today and added to my pool. Raised fc from 5 to 18.
Oh i agree about the water temp it will take quite a few very warm days to affect it.
Now that i have my fc up i will just monitor and add when it gets back to 5. Along with normal other testing as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.