What size pump should I have for my pool?

Why do you think it is undersized? For just circulation, you don't need a large pump at all and for filtering, you don't want a large pump. I have a 1/2 HP for a 20k pool.

Did they just change the motor or the entire pump? Are there valves that control the flow to each section of the pool? It could be they were just set incorrectly.

Was any of the plumbing past the filter modified? It just doesn't make sense that there is no flow to the other ports without a blockage. All ports had flow before the change in pump correct? Also, what is the filter pressure?

25 PSI is very high pressure for a 3/4 HP pump. It sounds like there is a blockage in the line somewhere. Could be the filter but since you are getting flow to 2 of the 5 ports, it is most likely the line that has the 3 dead ports. Not sure how it got blocked though because return side blockage is usually pretty rare.

If all 5 lines worked fine before the installer changed pumps, then I would get the installer back out to explain what happened. He must of done something to cause the problem.

What is the model # of the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Return ports are hard to flush out because you have to block all the other ports and then use a hose to try and flush towards the filter. You might try a snake/pig and see if that helps but it is hard to navigate the 90s. Does the filter have a recirculate mode and does the flow out of the returns change at all? Also, what size is your plumbing? Also, when was the last time you backwashed the filter?

Piping is 1 1/2". Don't have a recirculate mode it either backwashes or runs through it normally. Backwashed maybe 3 weeks ago, but this has been a problem for over a year. (the flow from the other 3 ports that is) Do they usually split the flow to the ports on either side of the pool or is it probably just one line running around the outside and deadheading at whatever would be the last port?

Usually it is whatever is more convenient for the installer. Unfortunately, most PBs don't really care much about performance.

But I just want to clarify something. Did all 5 ports ever work properly since you have owned the pool? Did this problem surface when the pump was changed?

Sorry one more follow up. Did the old pump fail and you left the pool idle for a while when waiting for the new pump? Just a thought on the high filter pressure being a result of an algae bloom which would reduce the flow rate to all ports.

Here are some pics of my setupPool pump pics 018.jpgPool pump pics 017.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Its the ports on the left side of the pool that are not working and I am not useing the inline puck chlorinator anymore. Liquid bleach only.

- - - Updated - - -

The pool has never went more than a day without a pump. Lost flow to the other 3 after the pump change. Went from 1 1/2 HP to 3/4HP. I did alot of research and based on the pipe and pool size and pump curve, I found that I should be able to use the smaller HP to do the job. Now I am wondering if I went to little and the 1 1/2 was the right size.

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to clean the filters again tomorrow once I get home from work and see if the pressure drops any.

No you were right, a 3/4 HP is more than enough pump. There is clearly something wrong with the plumbing. Cleaning the filters is a good first step because it is important to get a clean filter pressure reading to help with the troubleshooting. If the pressure still does not drop, then there must be something blocking the return line somewhere and unfortunately probably where the two side split.

BTW, what was the filter pressure with the old pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.