Leak repair - DC area?

Bart

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Northern Virginia
I have a Hot Springs Spa, "Grandee" hot tub that has started leaking from somewhere on the bottom. I opened the main panel with the pumps and the tubing and it was completely dry, so the leak must be coming from somewhere else.

I'm worried that the leak is beyond my abilities to fix and would like to call in a pro, but I'm not sure where to go. I called the local dealer, (the place where I bought it) and they gave me some convoluted story about needing "to charge me $650 up front because we don't know how bad the problem will be, and if it's a leak at the heating unit, it will cost that much to repair it". Naturally I was shocked and started asking a lot of questions, none of which were answered in an intelligible way. Then they said, "depending on the severity of the leak it could be $650 to repair it or it could be something simple like replacing an o-ring. So I asked, if it was something simple like a so-ring, about how much would that be?

They told me they had no way of knowing!!!

My basic question was, if an expensive repair costs $650, what's a ballpark price for a cheap repair? They couldn't give me an answer!!!

I immediately started thinking I was being scammed, so I came here instead.

Does anyone know of a good, fair, honest hot tub repair place in the DC area (actually west of town, near Front Royal, VA)?

It's not a huge leak - maybe an inch or two a week, but I'd still like to get it fixed, and my call with Hot SprinGs Spas of DC didn't give me a warm fuzzy

Are there any good local repair people?
Is there anything else I should do first?

Thanks!
Bart

^i can't help you locally, but my indie hot tub guy for mechanical charges a service call fee of $95 for th first hour, then lets me decide how much further to go. Look for someone who will do it that way.

Alternately, if its truly that slow a leak, you could try Marlig's stop leak. I'm in the process of trying it, but I messed up the cure time because we were hit with snow and I was worried I'd wreck the lines if I let it cure properly. It did seal at first, but didn't have enough cure time, so I'm going to repeat when I can safely shut it down for a few days.

Ymmv.

When did you purchase the spa? There are a couple of places to look, but a model year or serial number would be helpful first.

Thanks

Thanks Scott.

I bought it in April 2005 from "Hot Springs Spas of Washington", now renamed to "Capitol Hot Tubs". It's a Hot Springs Spas, Grandee unit. Is that enough information or do you need the actual year it was made and s/n? We bought new so I'm guessing (hoping) it was made in late 2004 or early 2005.

Thanks again

Alternately, if its truly that slow a leak, you could try Marlig's stop leak. I'm in the process of trying it, but I messed up the cure time because we were hit with snow and I was worried I'd wreck the lines if I let it cure properly. It did seal at first, but didn't have enough cure time, so I'm going to repeat when I can safely shut it down for a few days.

Ymmv.

Thanks for the tip!

I'm a little confused on the cure time/snow issue. Do you need to turn off the heat for an extended period to cure the fix-a-leak?

Thanks again,
Bart

One problem area to check on the older models is the light lens. In the equipment area, remove the black LED light housing which is located behind the IQ2020 control box. If it is a slow leak and it seems to come from underneath, a leak coming from the lens will follow the contour of the shell and saturate the foam insulation.

38859_p-140x140.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.