Mollyj

Nov 14, 2014
Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi I am a newbie to owning a pool, we bought a Bestway rectangular pool and have had it up for just over a week. Now, one of the legs is sinking and we're resigned to the draining and correcting. I have a couple of questions - what to do with all that water - there must be somewhere to store it, is it safe in our rainwater tanks?

Also, how do we correct the problem without having to dig out the whole area? All the other legs are fine, it's just one that is sinking. I stupidly didn't join this forum before putting it up otherwise I'd have know that adding dirt to the area wasn't good enough. The pool bottom is beautifully smooth with no stones and the water has been perfect too - thanks to the advice learned on here.

Attachments

• Pool-leaning-2.jpg
    Pool-leaning-2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Pool-leaning1.jpg
    Pool-leaning1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Pool-leaning3.jpg
    Pool-leaning3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 227
Thanks - I'm in Australia, the weather has been perfect for swimming over the last week so that's good, luckily, it's turned a bit cooler now so if it needs to be drained, now is the time to do it. I'm considering buying a couple of those small inflatable top type pools to store the water in and then use it slowly in a week or so for the garden - I hate wasting that much water :(

We're now thinking of putting concrete pavers under the end that's sinking, although the manual says not to do that - it's either that or move the whole darned thing and it's in such a nice spot. Plus, the other legs are all fine and level, just the side end and possibly the end one next to it. Now I know that time honoured phrase of "it has to be level ground ":rolleyes:

Is RTFM - short for Read the FLippen Manual? ;) Well, since Friday, we've drained the pool, re jigged it to make it level, pavers and hard core bricks at on end, the other end was showing as completely level. Now though, it's about 3cm difference between one end and the other - it looks pretty good to me and I've added the chemicals, got teh pump going and hopefully will be ready to swim mid week when it's set to warm up. It was kind of lucky that this weekend was a bit cooler (25deg C) so I probably wouldn't have used it anyhow.

More pictures later when I take the cover off - and get in it :)

Hi Mollyj, Hope these instructions from my manual will be of some use:

1. The area where the pool is to be set up must be absolutely flat and level. Do not set up the pool on a
slope or inclined surface.
2. The ground surface must be compacted and firm enough to withstand the pressure and weight of a
fully set up pool. Do Not set up the pool on mud, sand, soft or loose soil conditions.
3. Do Not set up the pool on a deck, balcony or platform.
4. The pool requires at least 5 - 6 feet (1.5 - 2.0 m) of space all around pool from objects that a child
could climb on to gain access to the pool.
5. The chlorinated poolwater could damage the surrounding vegetation.
6. If the ground is not concrete (i.e., if it is asphalt, lawn or earth) you must place a piece of
pressure-treated wood, size 15” x 15” x 1.2” (38 x 38 x 3cm), under each U-shaped support and flush
with the ground. Alternatively you may use steel pads or reinforced tiles. Consult your local pool supply retailer for advice on support pads.
7. Above ground storable pools shall be located at a minimum distance of 6 ft (1.83 meters) from any
receptacle, and that all 125-volt 15- and 20-ampere receptacles located within 20 ft (6.0 meters) of the pool shall be protected by a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI), where distances are by measuring
the shortest path the supply cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, doorway with hinged or sliding door, window opening, or other effective permanent barrier.
8. Eliminate all aggressive grasses first. Certain types of grass such as St. Augustine and Bermuda, may
grow through the liner. Grass growing through the liner it is not a manufacture defect and is not
covered under warranty.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Punniya - your advice is a bit different to the video and manual supplied by Bestway - the ground was very level - although not quite firm enough. In the summer our red earth over here goes like hard rock unless it rains - which in South Australia in summer is very rare. The pool seems okay now although if it does start to slip again, I am going out to buy a load of treated wood and re set it up on there. We've got the whole of the summer to go yet. Today was the perfect swimming day, 36deg hot and dry - managed to get in two lots of swimming. No wonder my legs ache and housework is the last thing on my mind :)

Good luck with your pool Punniya, I am enjoying watching these new pools go up - gets me all fired up for a bigger better on next year - better not mention that to hubby just yet lol

In the summer our red earth over here goes like hard rock unless it rains - which in South Australia in summer is very rare. The pool seems okay now although if it does start to slip again, I am going out to buy a load of treated wood and re set it up on there.

Hi Mollyj, Thanks for wishing me luck. I would suggest you plan for the rainy season and it will take care of your summer. If you use thicker and wider piece of treated wood that should take the load comfortably.

Why use concrete pavers? What is the advantage. The directions say to use a piece of pressure treated wood.

The directions also say, "Alternatively you may use steel pads or reinforced tiles."

It is my belief that Intex is suggesting using 1.3" pressure treated wood because most people out there just want to find the most level spot on their lawn and throw the pool up.

It has been noted many times on these Troublefreepool.com forums that the pressure placed on the legs of these rectangular pools is incredible. A 4" thick concrete block will not give the way wood will and has been recommended by many other people on this forum that own the rectangular pools.

The directions also say, "Alternatively you may use steel pads or reinforced tiles."

It is my belief that Intex is suggesting using 1.3" pressure treated wood because most people out there just want to find the most level spot on their lawn and throw the pool up.

It has been noted many times on these Troublefreepool.com forums that the pressure placed on the legs of these rectangular pools is incredible. A 4" thick concrete block will not give the way wood will and has been recommended by many other people on this forum that own the rectangular pools.

The directions say: 6. If the ground is not concrete (i.e., if it is asphalt, lawn or earth) you must place a piece of
pressure-treated wood, size 15” x 15” x 1.2” (38 x 38 x 3cm), under each U-shaped support and flush
with the ground. Alternatively you may use steel pads or reinforced tiles. Consult your local pool supply retailer for advice on support pads.

It says you may use those and should consult your pool supply retailer. Is the concrete block reinforced? I don't think that a piece of pressure treated wood will give way as you claim with no knowledge. This is just another example of tribal knowledge.

MollyJ,

Welcome to the Tribe. There is a wealth of information here that is not in any manual but has been found to work wonderfully. I do hope you were able to stabilize the support leg on your pool and are now enjoying it down under while the rest of us are stuck here living vicariously through you and a few others. Post some pics of your "fix" when you get a chance. And don't be afraid to ask more questions that you have. Answering questions during our off season keeps us on top of our game for next summer!

Mac

I started writing this while at the tire store waiting for some winter tires to be installed. Had to put my work aside when they announced the car was done. Seems like several folks have had similar thoughts to what I intended saying, shown below:

I'm not sure concrete blocks are universally better than pressure treated wood. Concrete blocks are meant to be loaded uniformly. When loaded at one point or in a line contact manner, as would be the case here, they do not do well and may crack in short order. For the same reason you should never use a concrete block to hold up a car while working underneath it, you wouldn't want to use one in this case. I've seen cars supported in that manner instantly collapse to the ground when the weather changed. Now if you laid a layer of wood between, to spread the load and eliminate the line contact, that might be fine.

We did fix it thankfully, it is still a bit out - probably 1 or two inches uneven at the most. We used a combination of thick brick paver's and wood - it's not my ideal as I really like everything to be neat and tidy. I've been swimming heaps, nearly everyday as the weather hots up. The forecast is for 30 to 34deg for the next few days which is brilliant. I'll take a few more piccies over the weekend - my dream pool is one of those half in ground pools with a deck or paver's all round and a separate outdoor shower and loo. 2.5mx 6 to 9 metres is the size that would suit my chosen patch of earth :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.