Opinions on Pebble vs. Plaster??

LisaDLu

Nov 14, 2014
Palm Desert, CA
We are replastering our pool and were going to go with traditional plaster but everyone keeps saying pebble lasts forever and plaster only 5-8 years. If I knew for sure we would be in this house another 10 or 20 years I would pebble, but we think we will only be here about 6 or 7 more years. Our house is a mid-century with a rectangular pool and I don't think the pebble would look appropriate, but I do like the smooth quartz finish like Pebble Fina which seems pricey. So, those of you who have plaster do you wish you had pebble? Will a white color pebble stain as easily as plaster? All opinions appreciated!! We have a 17,000 gallon saltwater pool.

Welcome to TFP!

As a rough guide plaster lasts 10 years and pebble lasts 30 years. Actual lifetime varies depending on the skill of the applicator and how well the water balance is maintained long term, so actual life may be much shorter or somewhat longer depending.

Properly cared for plaster can last a long time. Ours made it 18 years and was still serviceable. The only issue was a rough texture. Based on that performance, we just remodeled with Finest Finish grey. It makes the water a beautiful dark blue and the quartz in it sparkles like diamonds.

If you get a chance to watch them apply the plaster, watch how they do the final troweling. All cement-type products have a definite timeframe in which you can work the material before it starts to set up. If they keep playing with it even after all the "cream" has risen to the surface to make the surface look "just perfect", then you'll be in trouble. If they know what you're doing with the application and if you know what you're doing with your water chemistry, plaster is fine.

Pebble surface is more forgiving with installation and water chemistry, so it really depends on how you can manage the installers and your water. As for my pool, my wife wanted a pebble finish, so there was no decision for me other than to figure out whether I wanted to sign the check in blue ink or black ink....

Pebble surface is more forgiving with installation and water chemistry, so it really depends on how you can manage the installers and your water. As for my pool, my wife wanted a pebble finish, so there was no decision for me other than to figure out whether I wanted to sign the check in blue ink or black ink....

You make me laugh so hard. I had to read this to my husband....hoping some of it will rub off! -Karen

As far as plaster/pebble - I've seen beautiful pools with both and terrible pools with both. Quality of installation is key.

Hello to all,

Yeah, I know the wife thing, the two daughters thing, the two [female] golden retriever thing, and I even think the single shrimp in an enclosed biosphere is even female, so neither ink or the magnetic strip on c-cards last too long around our beauty parlor.

Regarding finishes, we too are examining what type of pebble tech finish/color to select. However, does either salt or CL based pools have an impact on the longevity of the finish type? If so, how much? Note, I will assume the pool chemistry is properly maintained...we are also going w the pool shark too.

Thanks to all and Go Ag's !!!

tstex

Whether the pool contains salt or not is not a factor on either plaster or pebble finishes. The biggest factors in keeping them nice and realizing their expected longeviety is going to be maintaing the proper calcium and the Ph levels.

hope this helps,

Thanks for all the replys! We went and saw some pools this weekend with "white" pebble tec. Is there such a thing as white pebble tec that really looks white? The ones we saw just looked dingy, not brilliant white like plaster does. I'm talking about pebble and not the crystal beads, I'm sure those look very sparkly. Does anyone have a nice white pebble tec or are the "whites" a little on the grey side?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.