Water Level and Drain?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
With the winter season coming in Northern CA we will finally start to get some rain and the water level will stay a bit higher with less evaporation. I have noticed that my pool overflow drain (1inch PVC pipe hole about 5 inches down from the top concrete edge of the pool) sits pretty high up as it relates to how high the water level can get in the skimmer before it starts to drain.

Normally I keep about a 1-2 inch gap between the water level height and the top of the skimmer so debris can float in, however if the water level actually gets high enough to start flowing out of the overflow drain then the water level will be too high for the skimmer to be effective.

Was this a design flaw? Are there any other downsides to the water level being too high for the skimmer other than not picking up surface debris properly? I do have a manual faucet on the pump/filter plumbing that I can use to hook a hose up and drain that way if needed. Thanks for the help.

I doubt it is a flaw. IMO, the overflow is a backup if you do not actively maintain the water level. You are correct that the only real downside is that surface debris may not get skimmed if the water level is too high.

Gotcha, it looks there is a good ~10 inches of wiggle room between the bottom of the skimmer and the top so I can turn off my auto fill and leave it a bit lower so when we get a downpour I don't have to worry about running out in the rain to drain it manually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.