Pump noise. Bearings?

Aug 24, 2011
I have a pentair superflo .75 hp. The motor is about a year old.

I've noticed it is making a kind of a continuous.. veroom...veroom...veroom...veroom... sound as it's pumping. It's not high pitched. But seems to have gotten louder in recent months.

Water is pumping fine, it primes fine, and otherwise wouldnt notice anything wrong with it. I've tried cleaning the filter, the basket, etc.

Could bearings be going bad already?

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

mine did the same, it was the bearings in the motor. I called my PB, he called the local pentair repair guy who came and replaced the motor. My pump was loud from day 1....just got louder and louder. When it was replaced it was 5 mo. old.

Can you make a recording? I believe that pump has a centrifugal switch and that too can have a pulsating sound. You might just try to clean and inspect the governor for interference in the back of the motor and see if that helps.

Yea that sounds like the centrifugal switch. Pretty common sound for those pumps. If you push down on the housing, does it get quieter? Take the end cap off and see if the governor is dirty and/or there is a spring missing.

I dont think there is a centrifugal switch. Unless it can somehow be in a different location? I took off the back cap and it's just the end of the shaft and wiring terminals there. I can easily turn the shaft from there with my hand. I don't hear any noise or feel any obvious resistance when Im turning it.

I dont really notice any difference by pushing on the housing.

That's the exact sound mine was making. If it's ~1 yr old it should be under warranty....let them deal with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.