What is the best way to fix this leak?

newpoo

Nov 2, 2014
CA
Thanks everyone!

There is a leaking spot on the floor of the skimmer inlet (Please see the pictures attached, sorry the pictures are upside down, and I failed to figure out how to turn them around). It lost 2 inches water per day, and was detected by injecting coloring. The leaking spot is on the left hand side, below the fiberglass and above the tile/skimmer. The pool is is a concrete pool. I guess there was a leak, and the previous owner used some fiberglass to seal it. Unfortunately, it started to leak again. The pool company asks for $700 to fix it by cutting the fiber glass and seal it with some kind of concrete which I don't quite understand. They said the previous fix with fiber glass is not professional at all. They also mentioned that if they can't cut the fiber glass without damaging the skimmer, then I will have to pay $2500 in total to replace the skimmer.

The price sounds too high to me. I am wondering what is the best way to fix it? Can I just remove the old fiber glass, and patch it with some new fiber glass or some other materials.

Inputs are highly appreciated.

Newpoo

Take the old fiberglass out and buy a $50 jar of Laticrete epoxy. It come with a jar of hardner and a jar resin. It's used for tile, marble, plastic, etc., it's water proof. Drain the water below the skimmer, let it dry, mix up some epoxy, and slather it on. It should hold no problem.

First take the old fiberglass out.

Examine what you have. Are all the surfaces flush? What caused the problem to begin with? Is your skimmer being impacted by deck movement? Can you cure that?

If the surfaces are basically flush I would use an epoxy coating. You may have to apply this every year because the crack or whatever has impacted the structure of the skimmer and the constant movement will require tuneups. If the surfaces are not flush or parts are missing take pics and come back here.

The Red Guard will not work. It is an intermediate coating. (its not designed for exposure)

You need a epoxy coating designed for exposure as suggested above.

I would use Pond Armour http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pond-Arm...lack-Non-Toxic-Epoxy-SKU-BLACK-QT-R/203886503

You would need to sand the surface before you apply so it is reasonably rough.

Wear a shirt you are willing to throw away and buy some acetone to clean up with.

First take the old fiberglass out.

Examine what you have. Are all the surfaces flush? What caused the problem to begin with? Is your skimmer being impacted by deck movement? Can you cure that?

If the surfaces are basically flush I would use an epoxy coating. You may have to apply this every year because the crack or whatever has impacted the structure of the skimmer and the constant movement will require tuneups. If the surfaces are not flush or parts are missing take pics and come back here.

The Red Guard will not work. It is an intermediate coating. (its not designed for exposure)

You need a epoxy coating designed for exposure as suggested above.

I would use Pond Armour http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pond-Arm...lack-Non-Toxic-Epoxy-SKU-BLACK-QT-R/203886503

You would need to sand the surface before you apply so it is reasonably rough.

Wear a shirt you are willing to throw away and buy some acetone to clean up with.

Thanks gwegan!

I removed the fiberglass today. The skimmer is a little bit lower than the tile which I guess is normal. And all parts seem to be tight. Just ordered the pond armor online, will comment back how it is going later.

Last question: Do I need to apply some concrete/grout to make the tile and the skimmer even before applying pond armor? Or I can just apply pond armor directly on the current surface?

- - - Updated - - -

b9ex6v.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.