Pump engine whining

Soda city

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
Columbia, SC
Hi Guys,
Thanks to TFP our pool has been blue and sparkly since late August. Truly a pleasure. I tell EVERYBODY with a pool to join this place.:crazy:

Now that November is here and our pool is under a canopy of trees we have been doing double duty in the skimming and basket cleaning. Well, actually way more than double duty. sometimes the skimmer baskets fill up twice a day. I am off today as it is Veteran's Day (Thank you for your service, Dear Vets) and eventually roused myself to go skim and clean baskets. The engine sounded like it was straining so i checked the pressure and was at 16, usually hang at about 12. I turned it off, cleaned all the baskets, skimmed. When i turned it back on it was still straining and holding at 16. I had read previously on this forum that backwash was only necessary when you are running 10-20% over your baseline, which I was. So i backwashed. Turned the pump back on and it seemed to go to normal for minute then it began seriously whining and the pressure was <5.

In the past whenever the engine sounded punky, doing all of the above would do the trick. Never have I made the problem worse as I have today. I did notice that the water level in the pool itself is lower than normal as we have had glorious sunny weather for many days now. Would a lowered water level be contributing?

Thanks for any wisdom!

Would a lowered water level be contributing?
It could be. Your psi of <5 indicates you are sucking air instead of water. If the pool water level is too low, you will suck air through the skimmer(s).

Pump running, is there visible air in the pump strainer basket?

Turn on the pump and go visually inspect the skimmer(s). If there is a whirlpool, fill the pool until it stops. The skimmer(s) may also be full of leaves allowing air to enter the system.....clean them out.

I noticed that the skimmer baskets remained empty despite a truckload of leaves falling. At closer look my water level was a couple of inches under the skimmers. Another lesson for this newbie. So Duraleigh nailed it. Threw the hose on for about four hours and we were back in business.

Hey neighbor! You need to keep a close eye on your water level and never let it go below the skimmer opening. I try to keep mine at the middle of the opening and top off immediately upon finding it close to the bottom of the opening. My water level is such that proper level is indicated when there's water covering the first step below the pool deck.

Hey Timerguy,
Yep, it was a bit of a bonehead move not to realize with so little rain the water needed replacing. We're just so darn proud to be maintaining a crystal clear cement pond we got a little cocky! :D
I have a dear friend in Chapin--lovely town!

Hi Soda. Glad you got the water level worked out. I also wanted to check that you were cleaning the pump basket and re-priming as well when you have a healthy leaf load...some always gets through and that will also affect pressure if the pump basket is also clogged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.